Do I need to update the OS?

100%.

You are using an OS that is at/near 2 years EOF since DirectAdmin stops supporting a OS after 2 years of EOF. (EOF = End of Life)

And I hate to say it but CentOS 7 is now also EOF (redhead retired it early because they took CentOS over) and CentOS 8 is now CentOS Stream (A BETA testing OS for redhead so not recommended for production.).
So if I was you I would look around to a new OS distro to use and learn. It may be frustrating now but it will be way better in the long run.

Thanks~Any OS suggestions?
Personally I use Debian (10/buster) as its easy to get used to and (at least for my use case) stable. But Debian does not perform as well as other distros when needing to handle lots of requests or when under a heavier load. So that is something you may need to take into consideration as well.

Last edited:
Cloudlinux had Extended Life Support for Centos 6, we are using this on one of our servers
Strange thing is , i cant find this product on their site anymore?

How to do it ?
I wouldn't, because Centos 8 is also already end of life since januari 1st so you would be upgrading from EOL OS to EOL OS.
It is possible to upgrade from Centos 7 to AlmaLinux, but I'm not sure if it's possible to upgrade from Centos 6 too.

In your case however I would start making a better choice, either upgrade to Centos 7 which is only EOL in jun 2024 so over 2 years. Or upgrade to one of the alternatives like Almalinux or Rocky for example.

If too broad a question, then apologies: but If you were to set up a new server for DirectAdmin, what would your choice be, and why? Purely looking at DirectAdmin, which OS runs DA the most smoothly (best performance, least problems), has the (historically) best upgrade path? I see that anything based off RHEL 8 has the farthest EOL-date for DA. Is that a good indication? What are the downsides of using RHEL (licensed) with DirectAdmin, besides cost?

what would your choice be, and why?
There are not really any Choices any more. (that ended on Jan 1st 2022) It is some flavor of Linux. Those choices are RH type or Debian type.
OS runs DA the most smoothly (best performance, least problems)
I don't really think performance on DA has been studied. Most would say RH flavors. If FreeBSD was still supported it would be FreeBSD.
has the (historically) best upgrade path?
Depends on you view in upgrading based on current choice I think Debian is best for this.
Is that a good indication?
In my opinion no.
What are the downsides of using RHEL (licensed)
If you mean Real Redhat there is no difference other than cost and support maybe.

Alot of these answers would be based more on your belief and experiance. Set up a few boxes on Debian and a few on RedHat. Then let us know what you think.

Set up a few boxes on Debian and a few on RedHat. Then let us know what you think.

Thanks for the info Brent. I'm not into selling hosting services, it's just a single box I'm looking to upgrade (rather: set up a new one) from CentOS. I noticed that FreeBSD is no longer on the "Supported OS'es"-list, in a way that makes the choice easier. I guess this soon in the game, no one can really tell which CentOS successor will prove the most reliable. I'll just flip a coin then... ;-)

Is that a good indication?
In my opinion yes, but that is based on the fact that about all professional panels are RH/Centos based so using RH or alike is a good indication for max compatilibity (if issues occur) but not for upgradability for major versions which is indeed better in Debian and alikes.

As for the other points I agree with Brent.

Be aware that some "alikes" can provider newer sources, but this can make things also less stable. So that's why for example I rather use Alma linux (or Centos until now) than Fedora or especially Centos-stream which sounds very unstable to me.
Same for when I would choose for Debian alike, I would choose for Debian itself rather than Ubuntu.

As for a hobby box or single box without hosting, why pay for RH? I would just use Debian or if you want to keep RH alike, go Alma or Rocky. Alma is commercial supported by Cloudlinux so personally I chose Alma.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was a bit wary tacking onto this thread asking about "the best OS", fearing I might start a holy war on which is the best platform. But it turns out the options are not that many (anymore), and one of the choices concerns better upgradability. This will work.

Back