Do you like the new public_html link setup, or do you want the old method back?

What default do you want the ~/public_html link to be?

• A directory with domain links inside, as it currently is

Votes: 25 44.6%
  • A link to the default domain's public_html

Votes: 31 55.4%

• Total voters
I didn't know that. So you are against using ~user/domain as well.

Its seems like to me any method is not going to take into account any user specific httpd.conf settings. The defaults will be used.

Yes, floyd, you are right :) That's why I wanted to see domain.hostname.com or user.hostname.com, but it's not implemented yet (in this way all settings as open_basedir, safe_mode and others will remain).

What's the prob with keeping the old method and also having DA create links in /var/www/html ???

John, what are you leaning towards so far ?

Doing domain.com.hostname.com isn't hard to do by adding a 2nd VirtualHost into your virtual_host.conf (or virtual_host2.conf) templates. I won't be adding it because it would double the number of virtualhost on systems that are already very close to topping out their filedescriptor limits.

Right now I'm leaning towards all domains in /var/www/html (as an option, off by default at first).. and back to the simple public_html link pointing to just 1 domain (option will still be there to set it to a directory if you want).

The confusion is mainly with the naming of the link.. "public_html" implies that's where the files go, but with the directory method, it's not exactly true.

The actual ~username/domain.com is "correct" in the logical sense, but would work better with a different name for public_html, so I may just undo it.

I'm in no rush to finalize any of this as I don't want to be changing it again, so I want to make sure the correct "default" solution is used.

John

Right now I'm leaning towards all domains in /var/www/html (as an option, off by default at first).. and back to the simple public_html link pointing to just 1 domain (option will still be there to set it to a directory if you want).

Excellent !

The confusion is mainly with the naming of the link.. "public_html" implies that's where the files go, but with the directory method, it's not exactly true.

100% with ya.

The actual ~username/domain.com is "correct" in the logical sense, but would work better with a different name for public_html, so I may just undo it.

Excellent !

I'm in no rush to finalize any of this as I don't want to be changing it again, so I want to make sure the correct "default" solution is used.
John

100 % with ya.

:D

Doing domain.com.hostname.com isn't hard to do by adding a 2nd VirtualHost into your virtual_host.conf (or virtual_host2.conf) templates. I won't be adding it because it would double the number of virtualhost on systems that are already very close to topping out their filedescriptor limits.

John
I'm with you on this one John. :)

What are you confused about? John said he wasn't going to rush into finalizing anything until he was absolutely sure of the right thing to do since he doesn't want to have to change it again. All we can do is wait now. He has a lot of options to think about.

I'm really confused now - but it's not the first time... ;)

Am I right assuming that after the latest DA update adding "old_public_html_link=0" to directadmin.conf will guarantee me the method listed in this poll as:

A directory with domain links inside, as it currently is

I really liked the username/domains/ structure that was introduced a couple of updates ago and would like to keep on using it.

Back