Do you like the new public_html link setup, or do you want the old method back?

What default do you want the ~/public_html link to be?

• A directory with domain links inside, as it currently is

Votes: 25 44.6%
  • A link to the default domain's public_html

Votes: 31 55.4%

• Total voters
The ballgame has been in play since 2003. The public_html link has always been used, just with a different link.

One other option that has crossed my mind...
leave ~/public_html as a single domain link.

The idea is to create a 2nd path in parallel, ie:
~/dmnlink
or something like that to be the directory with the domain links in it.
Then the admin would need only to swap around his templates to have it point to dmnlink instead of public_html.

John

Uhhhmm I think this is what I've been saying all along:

Create a 1.2.3.4/~user/shortcuts path

"shortcuts" or "links"

Perhaps I didn't express myself well enough.

Is there something wrong with using http://serverip/domain.com ?

I place a link in /var/www/html to the domain's public_html directory and then the user see nothing and they can see their web site.

Floyd, the IP/domain.com method should be fine, to the same effect as ~username.

The /var/www/html is the default for the server IP with our setup.. I can't comment on all apache setups, but I'd assume we're not the only ones with it as a base.

John

Then I guess, that makes two of us who wonder why can't DA just use the /var/www/html to create the links,

This would kill 2 birds with one stone I think:

1st stone: the old problem
2nd stone: users seeing the folder and confusing it as something else

Right ?

I am just saying that is what solved the problem for me. None of my customers are confused now. None upload to the wrong directory. The can all preview their domains. No usernames are given away.

I brought it up again because nobody really commented on it before.

Of course it only works for the server IP address, and not the IP the user is one (if he's on an IP which is not the server), but that's not a big deal if you just set the server IP link in the welcome emails.

Who else likes the serverIP/domain.com method?

Again, an Admin can use any method he wants, post install.

The real question I'm after is what should the default be.
The solution we chose may not satisfy everyone, but I'm going for majority.

The install time choice is an option that could also be looked at.

John

My answer to your question:

Floyd's solution.

If I have 200 users on a shared server and only 3-4 use a unique IP, who cares ?? This solution solves the problem for the most part, and more importantly, does not craete any new ones.

I don't mind creating script to fix a problem, but if you can fix a problem by default, then even better for all of us.

I think cyberneticos and I actually agree on something now. Run for the hills the world is ending. :) :)

John, I like the server ip method the best. But you know I am going to do whatever I want in the end.

The trouble I had in the beginning is my core customer base has more than one domain in their one user account. In fact how I got into the business was being one of the first to offer multiple domains in one account. With the public_html link in their home directory several users destroyed their sites by uploading the wrong directory. The link changed every time they added a domain and they could never be sure of what domain it was linking to. I had to get rid of the link altogether.

With any public_html in the user's home directory I can see potential problems and no benefits. With the link in /var/www/html I see no problems and lots of benefits.

And even the few that have unique ip's you can give them the server ip for preview purposes.

If more people agree then it really goes back to page one of this thread.

Most of the ones who have unique IPs are for SSL , which means they are probably not new customers, which means they probably already have there domains pointing to the server which means the probably won't be using the IP to see thier domain.

Which means.. , John ??

Ok, so the consensus is that IP/domain.com is good? ;)
Do you guys want me to implement that? (links in /var/www/html) or would just make a simple how-to for it suffice?

Question goes back to the public_html link.
From what I'm hearing, the directory method, although more logical in it's process, is in reality more confusing for Users?
Possibly a 3rd option to disable it completely?

John

1- Get rid of the new public_html dir
2- Implement the /var/www/html solution

Yes, I think this is the very best solution.

Ok, so the consensus is that IP/domain.com is good? ;)
I like this.
Do you guys want me to implement that? (links in /var/www/html) or would just make a simple how-to for it suffice?
Possibly an option in the directadmin.conf file to turn it on or off. However, the choice is up to you. I'm quite content with scripting it.
Question goes back to the public_html link.
From what I'm hearing, the directory method, although more logical in it's process, is in reality more confusing for Users?
Possibly a 3rd option to disable it completely?
Options are good. Then the server admins can have it setup the way they want.

The real question I'm after is what should the default be.
The solution we chose may not satisfy everyone, but I'm going for majority.

The install time choice is an option that could also be looked at.

While I favor the old method, I would hope you now only give us options in a configuration mode, but that whatever method we choose would make the appropriate changes in the welcome template.

You might also consider scriots that would let us change sites created under one method to whatever we use as default.

Thanks

Thom

See this post for another option

That of course can work too. I know I said serverip/domain but what I really use is hostname/domain so I am using what I think to be simpler for the user. They already know what the hostname is because that is what I use for the nameservers.

There are a number of ways to accomplish the same thing. Its hard to know which should be a default. Could make people choose at setup time. If they don't want to choose then they probably really don't care so any method could be used as a default.

Right, all PHP settings set in virtualhost configuration file are missing in this way :) (including safe_mode, open_basedir and others)

Back