Domains and shared document root

Adam166

Verified User
I've been migrating some cpanel accounts, some with "add-on" domains which share the same document root. I dont seem to able to point a domain to specific document root, i.e. an existing one.

The reason I dont want to use "domain pointers" is that it does not seem possible to issue individual letsencrypt certificates.

How can I do this?

No, I dont have SSH access and this needs to be done on multiple shared hosts that have moved from cpanel to direct admin.

It's looking as though I will have to search for alternative cpanel hosts if I'm unable to configure multiple domains to use the same docroot without using "domain pointers".

Perhaps there is a way I can set up individual Lets Encrypt certificates for "domain pointers"? I dont seem to be able to do that, though.

No, that's not possible. You can include them in the same cert as the main one though (I do that and it works perfectly) just tick the right boxes on the ssl menu.

otherwise, you could ask the system admin to add the following to your http vhost.

Code:
|?DOCROOT=/path/to/other/domain/docroot|

that way you can have it as it's own domain, with it's own cert, but still pointing to the same content.

Unfortunately that's not a good solution for me, as I have xxxx's of domains. it's not reasonable to ask the admin to manually configre domains for me, also this is an ongoing project so it would also be impractical to bother them with that.

I'm not happy to have many domains sharing the same certificate.

With cpanel this was so easy. Oh well.

why don't you want them sharing the same domain though? generaly not an issue.

Back