dovecadmn expunge errors sofar i know after 1.61 da update

ikkeben

Verified User
IN errortaskq.log full with:
2020:06:02-00:28:49: dovecadmn expunge returned an error: doveadm(themailadreshere): Error: Syncing mailbox .Trash failed: Invalid mailbox name: Begins with hierarchy separator

Not only trash but for all email adresses and folders.

DA version 1.61 centos 7.x dovecot sorry i updated before i have noted version

So i did update for few hours ago DA to 1.61.1 en dovecot to latest. ( Those with the custombuild plugin GUI latest 2.0.0 (rev: 2498) 1.0.34 ( it didn't look the update from version 1.0.33 succeeded only after 4 times trying) from SMTALK)

Now i will wait a day, but put this error here for those who ware searching this forum.

While on this forum i couldn't find related.

Yup here the same,
2020:06:02-00:10:03: dovecadmn expunge returned an error: doveadm([email protected]): Error: Syncing mailbox .INBOX.spam failed: Invalid mailbox name: Begins with hierarchy separator 2020:06:02-00:10:03: dovecadmn expunge returned an error: doveadm([email protected]: Error: Syncing mailbox .Trash failed: Invalid mailbox name: Begins with hierarchy separator 2020:06:02-00:10:03: dovecadmn expunge returned an error: doveadm([email protected]: Error: Syncing mailbox .INBOX.Trash failed: Invalid mailbox name: Begins with hierarchy separator 2020:06:02-00:10:03: dovecadmn expunge returned an error: doveadm([email protected]: Error: Syncing mailbox .INBOX.spam failed: Invalid mailbox name: Begins with hierarchy separator 2020:06:02-00:10:03: dovecadmn expunge returned an error: doveadm([email protected]: Error: Syncing mailbox .Trash failed: Invalid mailbox name: Begins with hierarchy separator

The 1.61.2 release should have a fix. Let me know if you still have issues and we'll dig deeper.

John

The 1.61.2 release should have a fix. Let me know if you still have issues and we'll dig deeper.

John

No sorry problem still exists

0:06:04-00:28:48: dovecadmn expunge returned an error: doveadm(spam-reports@...): Error: Syncing mailbox 'INBOX.Trash' failed: Mailbox doesn't exist: INBOX.Trash

2020:06:04-00:28:48: dovecadmn expunge returned an error: doveadm(spam-reports@....): Error: Syncing mailbox 'INBOX.spam' failed: Mailbox doesn't exist: INBOX.spam

I have updated to 1.61.2 and to be sure I have rebuild dovecot, error seems to be gone now :)
You sure it is gone?

While here it isn't still same problem. (kind off)

The errors changed from
Invalid mailbox name: Begins with hierarchy
to
failed: Mailbox doesn't exist:

After updating DA 1.61.2 and rebuild dovecot

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I've found the issue, where the nightly spam purge is simply triggering the purge on a fixed set of folders.
This will still be done, but if exit code 68 is hit, the error is simply not logged:

Pre-release binaries should be up in about 2 minutes.

John

Thanks for the info. I've found the issue, where the nightly spam purge is simply triggering the purge on a fixed set of folders.
This will still be done, but if exit code 68 is hit, the error is simply not logged:

Pre-release binaries should be up in about 2 minutes.

John
John

ok thanks that box doesn't suit for using pre-realese so can't test sorry.

Also the boxes INBOX.spam folders should be there while in roundcube you can see that folders .?

Am i doing things wrong?
2020:06:05-00:29:39: dovecadmn expunge returned an error: doveadm([email protected]): Error: Syncing mailbox 'INBOX.spam' failed: Mailbox doesn't exist: INBOX.spam

Error: Syncing mailbox .Trash failed: Invalid mailbox name: Begins with hierarchy separator

Ok back to the beginning. In looking for this one error I find this.

did you try
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build dovecot_conf

Also this seems similar

Do you have pigeonhole? Are there errors in the sieve log as well?

ou sure it is gone?

While here it isn't still same problem. (kind off)
That is weird the problems where at that moment gone, but last night at 00:16 it suddenly started again
Error: Syncing mailbox 'INBOX.Trash' failed: Mailbox doesn't exist: INBOX.Trash

Why its back after a day ?, nevermind I will wait to the official release because I dont want to mess with pre-builds

;) @bdacus01 it seems DA Support has found the two BUGS.

@Active8 this is because the purging is done with cron job , and probably while at least 2 BUGS with some different behaviour looking like same problem.

The first i don't know what cause and solved while DA support didn't mentioned, but after update 1.61.2 the hierarchy separator seems solved, the other purge and not finding mailboxes John did explain i hope it is solved then, metoo waiting for final release. ;)

Thanks, I just don't have the errors. So I must have something different.

Glad they found whatever the issue was.

I think releated to how old the installation ( over 5 years now) is and applications used, so i don't seem to have those 2 folders for example if the error message is right.
(inbox>spam and that trash) IN roundcube however it seems i have inbox> spam folder.

Don't know or it is the folders are not there, or while those folders are empty / not used.

No yes ofcourse updates done, but in that total time of years things has changed in DA and Dovecot, so maybe why some have and some not.
whew, you had me worried. You must have some custom dovecot and RoundCube confs. glad John sorted it out.

I hope you are well.

whew, you had me worried. You must have some custom dovecot and RoundCube confs. glad John sorted it out.

I hope you are well.
No not really for folders, but i mean to tell the structure changed over years, so differences in that is probably normal then.

There was i time, don't remember well, that in roundcube or imap whatever the structure of those and naming did has some "things"

It is even possible to have different loggings. and settings for log / errors ;)

Back