E-mail SSL problem

AudiAddict

Verified User
I have about 20 domains and recently allot of users are complaining about an error with SSL in outlook (it seems it tries it with ssl enabled by default now in the latest versions of outlook).

This is obviously caused by the fact that I am using a self signed certificate and don't even a SSL certificate for each unique domain (I would need a unique ip for each domain too?)

How do i get around this problem? Get a ssl certificate for my primary directadmin server ip and have users connect to this dns name instead of their own domain?

So server01.direactadmin.com instead of mail.userdomain.com ?

What happens if I get a ssl certificate on the directadmin domain and let the users use their own domain names? Will it not accept this certificate because its redirected anyway?

PS: How to install a SSL certificate on the shared directadmin ip? It doesn't allow me to do this.

You can buy a Certificate for your hostname and install it for both exim and for dovecot (search these forums) and tell your clients to use that. We tell our clients to choose TLS and not SSL, because for SSL your port must use SSL by default, but if your users use TLS both SSL and non-SSL will work on the same email ports.

You should also tell your clients to change their defaults so they try only the ports you use, as this can also cause errors.

Outlook should only warn once if a Certificate is for the wrong name, and then allow the users to accept it always. I don't use Outlook so I can't help in more detail but perhaps others can reply here with more specific help.

Jeff

Back