ELS - Easy Linux Security script

Hi,

Is the securing /tmp problem solved? I'm just installing a Centos 5.1 machine and don't want it messed up...

Poooh, no it's not. It will be fixed as soon as I'll get access to ELS server.

Martynas, if you need access to a testbed where you can install anything, just let me know.

Jeff

smtalk: I'm getting a bunch of errors after doing els --suhosin

Code:
PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib/php/modules/suhosin/suhosin.so' - /usr/lib/php/modules/suhosin/suhosin.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0
/usr/local/bin/els: line 2800: /usr/local/bin/phpize: No such file or directory
/usr/local/bin/els: line 2801: ./configure: No such file or directory
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
/bin/mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/lib/php/suhosin': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `./modules/suhosin.so': No such file or directory
suhosin installation/update complete.

Everytime I issue an els command I will get this error

Code:
PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib/php/modules/suhosin/suhosin.so' - /usr/lib/php/modules/suhosin/suhosin.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0

Based on the previous similiar question on this thread, I've done some checking for you.

Code:
[root@bawx bin]# whereis php.ini
php: /usr/bin/php /etc/php.ini /etc/php.d /usr/lib/php /usr/include/php /usr/share/man/man1/php.1.gz
[root@bawx bin]# grep "extension_dir =" /etc/php.ini
extension_dir = "/usr/lib/php/modules"
[root@bawx bin]# ls -la /usr/lib/php/modules/
total 2004
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    4096 Mar 16 00:49 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root    4096 Mar 14 19:45 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1719696 Sep 20 22:23 mbstring.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  106220 Sep 20 22:23 mysqli.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   49028 Sep 20 22:23 mysql.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   23532 Sep 20 22:23 pdo_mysql.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   82420 Sep 20 22:23 pdo.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   19916 Sep 20 22:23 pdo_sqlite.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   13004 Feb 22 06:53 phpcups.so

How do I fix this problem? Thank you very very much for this nice script :)

jeebp, is it DirectAdmin server? PHP should be in /usr/local/bin. It would be great if I could take a look at your server. Thank you for your good words :)

No sorry I'm on CentOS running webmin. I found this thread while searching for solutions to this problem.

It's not installed properly ... I guess I have to install the manual way or would you happen to have a simple solution for this?

Maybe I'll add webmin support later, at the moment it's not supported :)

Hey everyone,

I currently have this server:
Celeron 1.7Ghz
512MB RAM
Fedora 7
80GB IDE HD
DirectAdmin Control Panel

I currently don't have enough money to do any physical upgrades. I was wondering which would be better eAccelerator or Zend Optimizer? Also how would I uninstall either one of them in SSH? I accidently instaled both so it messed up my server and shut down the Apache. Luckily I got it back up and running by reinstalling Zend and I think it negated the effects of eAccelerator. So far I have used the ELS MYSQL Optimization, Firewall, Disable Telenet, and Brute Force Detector. After doing all of those I have noticed very minor performance increases. My server is currently using about 400MB or so of memory and I was wondering if there was any way to free up more memory. I was told it's apache and mysql sucking up all that memory but I'm barely running any users on those.

lots and lots and lots of issues.

server trashed and needs to be reloaded from scratch.

Maybe i'm real stupid well ya i am real stupid for doing this.

The Add wheel user and disable direct root login over SSH

the user i added the password doesn't work

none of the user passwords work except admin
su to root no commands work , adduser, userdel, chmod, nothing works passwd looks to work but still can't log in. start services no bash works at all

ssh is essentially useless except to look around

rescue mode in mount drive can add user and password, change passwords for the users i added reboot none of them work

what did i do wron other then install this package?

UPDATE this script has more than totaly messed up my whole server

looks like its time for a full OS reload and a bunch of pissed off customers

WHAT A WASTE: IMHO STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM THIS AS POSSIBLE

Last edited:
is there any way you can update the notifiy login of root via email to include the IP / with reverse DNS on it as well please?

After install ELC , rkhunter has security warning :

Checking for hidden files and directories [ Warning ]
[02:00:03] Checking for hidden files and directories [ Warning ]
[02:00:03] Warning: Hidden file found: /usr/share/man/man1/..1.gz: gzip compressed data, from Unix, max compression
Checking version of GnuPG [ Warning ]
[01:58:37] /usr/bin/GET [ Warning ]
[01:58:37] Warning: The command '/usr/bin/GET' has been replaced by a script: /usr/bin/GET: perl script text executable
[01:58:37] /usr/bin/groups [ Warning ]
[01:58:37] Warning: The command '/usr/bin/groups' has been replaced by a script: /usr/bin/groups: Bourne shell script text executable
[01:58:39] /usr/bin/whatis [ Warning ]
[01:58:39] Warning: The command '/usr/bin/whatis' has been replaced by a script: /usr/bin/whatis: Bourne shell script text executable

Does it has any problem ? Or ELS has edit some of the file become more safety ?

In my opinion this script should be removed and this thread closed. This script is not only poorly tested but its got mutiple issues thoughout, most of which is never fixed. FREE or not, what is the point in offering this script if its not maintained and updated. Even when we post the bugs, its never fixed or updated.

Jeff, remove this script from this thread. Obviously Marty whatever his name is cant keep it updated, FREE or not its a very dangerous script that doesnt work!!

I'm not the only one developer, and I don't have access to ELS server, so I can't update it at the moment. And it only has problems with CentOS 5 (when securing /tmp) and Debian.

iptables v1.3.5: Unknown arg `--set-tos' // everytime i start fresh from APF using ELS

Martynas,

Do you have a hint for this issue??
I get it on 3 new CentOS 5.1 servers, and ip tables already stopped and removed at the start up.

I think you need to load ipt_tos via modproble and you need to replace TOS_DEF_TOS with TOS_DEF in conf.apf

backup your mysql db

make sure you have backup all your database before install this script. I have lots of innodb table broken after running the install script:mad:

HTML:
>els --mysqloptimizedb

This feature can optimize and repair all the MySQL database tables.
Proceed? (y/n): y
mysqlcheck: Got error: 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) when trying to connect
Done.

>els --optimizemysqlconf

/usr/local/bin/els: line 1856: /bin/rpm: No such file or directory
This feature can secure and optimize your MySQL configuration.
Proceed? (y/n): y
Checking MySQL version. This may take a few seconds...
MySQL was not detected.
Please ensure the MySQL-server RPM package is installed.

Back