ELS - Easy Linux Security script

Maybe a feature to add :

(D)DoS Deflate

A good additional protection for servers.

- http://blog.medialayer.com/projects-ddos-deflate/
- http://www.deflate.medialayer.com/old/

that sounds like a good feature to add.

so can somone sum up what this script does exactually? will it secure your dedicated server down for you? is it fully compliant with DA or do I need to do any manual editing if I wish to give it a whirl? (any tips on what to install and what not to install from the file as reading previous posts people are having problems with certain features.)

From what I readed all around the forums, it seems to be a good stuff, surely making the load a little bit higher, but also protecting well servers.

Currently I am using a Cisco hardware firewall, but we were using this till december 2006 without problems.

Do I need to undo something? phpmyadmin not working

For some reason when I attempt to use phpMyAdmin, the login box says:

"phpMyAdmin running on localhost-0 requires a username and password." This should say localhost not localhost-0. Connection fails. Any attempt to install or run software that used a database also fails.

This is a clean install, done today. I installed Centos 4.2 with just minimal components, i.e, ssh, named etc. I ran yum updates, then install directadmin.

I ran ELS script, and kiss firewall. Nothing else.

I tried reinstalling mysql using the directadmin mysql.sh script.

MYSQL is running. I can create databases with the direct admin panel. Can't use phpMyAdmin.

I posted the above on another forum. Since then I tried to un mysqlrenice and got this error:
Code:
PHP Warning:  Unknown(): Unable to load dynamic library './suhosin.so' - ./suhosin.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0

MySQL does not appear to be reniced or unable to find safe_mysqld
pr mysqld_safe.
Unable to undo MySQL renice.

Comment
extenion="/usr/local/lib/php/suhosin/suhosin.so"
in /usr/local/lib/php.ini and restart httpd daemon. Anyone is having problems with suhosin too?

I did not find the line you mentioned. I found this at the bottom of the php.ini file:
Code:
[suhosin]
extension="suhosin.so"
;suhosin.version=0.9.16

I uncommented the extension line and was then able to renice mysql.

Did not solve my original problem with phpMyAdmin reporting localhost-0 instead of localhost.

Last edited:
/tmp too secure?

I have an install script that needs to write to /tmp but it reports that it is unwritable. (I am installing joomla) This could be a huge problem since most of my customers are going to be using joomla.

How can I fix this?

remount /tmp, because it's mounted with noexec and nosuid.

sorry if this is a stupid question but what is the exact command to remount /tmp? I think i want it to be no exec but writeable, right.

It's writeable, because it's chmodded correctly (maybe), do:
Code:
ls -la / | grep tmp

My Joomla install script reports:

PHP version >= 4.1.0 Yes
- zlib compression support Available
- XML support Available
- MySQL support Available
configuration.php Writeable
Session save path Unwriteable
/tmp

thanks, that worked. Now if only i could get mysql to work. It still thinks I am logging in from localhost-0 instead of localhost.

Just a noob question. What does this script do and what is the profit for me.
And 2nd is does it support debian 3.1?

Thanks

do you plan els for debian systems ?
i have try els on it but i get a error message because els
don´t know this kind of system.

greetings

I've just run the script on a Cent OS box:

PHP Warning: Unknown(): Unable to load dynamic library './apc/apc.so' - ./apc/apc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0
PHP Warning: Unknown(): Unable to load dynamic library './/usr/lib/php/suhosin/suhosin.so' - .//usr/lib/php/suhosin/suhosin.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0

Any pointers please, as otherwise this is a great script!

What's
Code:
# grep extension_dir /usr/local/lib/php.ini
output?

Hi,

Thanks for the help;
Code:
extension_dir = "./"
; extension_dir directive above.

Back