Email storage location in directadmin

windchoco

Hi,

My DA server is currently occupied by with email hosting and web hosting customers. Recently there was a hardware failure to the hard disk, causing server downtime.

Problem is that no backup was available as the backup storage was also damaged at the same time. No excuses though, the backup planning for the server is basically a disaster and it was my fault.

While waiting for data recovery, I have recreated all the empty accounts again in DA. I also managed to recover some of the data from the failed hard disk. Thus I tried to restore the data back to where it was before by FTP.

For web hosting customers, it was quite clear, just restore the public_html folders, and in some cases restore the dbs.

For email hosting customers, I had no problems with customers who run POP, as the email were all in their computers anyway, so I just needed to recreate their email accounts.

However, for IMAP customers using roundcube and squirrelmail, I am running into a problem. From the recovered data, I tried to restore from /home/username/IMAP/domain/* to the folder /IMAP/domain/* , but it seems that it doesn't work. It adds either 1-5% of the emails back or none at all.

I am wondering if it is because the email data is stored in some other location on a DA server? Please help...

The /home/$USER/imap/$DOMAIN/$EMAILUSER/Maildir/* should be the only location that contains the email messages. This of course assumes that you are using Dovecot and not the older UW IMAP server. If I remember correctly the older UW IMAP/pop3 servers used /var/spool/virtual/$DOMAIN/$USER to store messages.

@toml:

You're right as far as virtual mailboxes. For the main mailboxes (the username mailboxes) they're in /home/$USER/Maildir/*.

Jeff

Back