error restoring backup

ray

Verified User
I get this error when I try to restore a backup:

Error extracting files from the tar.gz: gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file /bin/tar: Unexpected EOF in archive /bin/tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

Why does this happen and and what do I do to make it work ?

Download the tar.gz to your own system and check if you can unpack it there. This should be possible with Winrar if you are using Windows.
If you get the same error there, then your archive is corrupt and you need to create a new backup.
If you can't create a new backup, you might be able to rescue some of the files by unpacking manually.

Hi,
I checked it and I INDEED cannot unpack the file. When I try to unoack it, I get the error message:"data ends unexpectedly". error message!
Now the big thing, that I think that's "off/odd", is that the file is almost 8 gig. My site is larger then ever before and, just maybe creating the backup takes longer then the time I have access, because each time I start the backup and return (after about half an hour) to check on the progress, I have to LOGIN! DirectAdmin has shut me out and just maybe creating the backup takes more time, as it's a large backup

Usually Directadmin sends a message when backup is finished... unless you checked not to inform you.

DirectAdmin logs out, without any warning during backup !

Maybe I didn't explain my unique problem good enough then. I wait and wait and wait and wait some more and then DirectAdmin just logs out, without any warning or notification and the backup is clearly NOT finished. Help and/or advise please

Directadmin will log you out after a certain timeout. So if you wait long enough, you will be logged out.
This does not mean that the backup will stop running at that moment, because that is running in the underlaying operating system in the background.
So this will keep on running until complete. Once complete it will notify the DA panel so a message appears your backup is ready/done like zEitEr already stated.
If something goes wrong with the backup, you will see a notification of that in the message system too.

Since you're asking in user level.... are you a user or are you admin with root access to the server?
If you are a user, the backup could for example go wrong because of lack of file/quota space or some other mistake. In that case, contact your host and ask him to check to log files why the backups are going wrong.
For most things it's best to ask the hoster when having problems, because they can check logfiles. ;)

thanks that explains it

Thanks that explains the problem better. For further info. I AM the administrator and have all the rights. The site is mine, only I'm working from experiencing and a couple of courses I took for Wordpress. I don't have extended knowledge of managing servers hosting sites etc. But I understand the problem better now, I will contact my hosting provider and see if they can solve it

You're welcome.
If you have all the rights you could login via SSH and have a look at the logfiles:
/var/log/messages
/var/log/directadmin/error.log
/var/log/directadmin/errortaskq.log
/var/log/directadmin/system.log

:re

Hi,
wel logging in through SSH, is something I have tried before, but I can't seem to do it right. I have all the logins, but I lack the knowledge to do it, AND this seems to be a bigger problem then I intitially thought. Every time it comes down to "It will work through SSH or use SSH". I have all the logins for SSH, but where can I find a clear step by step guide to use SSH, because I can't do it.

I have even hired a person some time ago to do some heavier work on my site and they logged in thourg SSh on my ste with the codes I gave them, but I can't and nobody will explain it to me or some one who can point me to a guide would be very nice

It's important to understand that your backups finished. You probably start a new backup while an old one is till running. Directadmin won't deny such an attempt, and will start a new process. 2+ concurrent processes might bring to unusual results. So you might need either to wait for when they finish, or kill all of them and start a new one and wait for a message from DA.

Bu now please check and see whether or not backups finished:

1. Login into Directadmin:

If you run the backup at user level then login into Directadmin as a user
If you run the backup at reseller level then login into Directadmin as a reseller
If you run the backup at admin level then login into Direcftadmin as an admin

2. check system messages from Directadmin. They can say about backups with more details either they failed or succeeded.

3. post here details from message system of Directadmin

You might expect to see something similar to:

000005153Your backups are now ready (id=3)Today at 06:10

with message:

User admin has been backed up. <6:10:02>

who can point me to a guide would be very nice
You can have a look at this site, but you can also use putty as client:
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-SSH

I have all the logins, but I lack the knowledge to do it,
I would certainly advise to NOT use SSH if you do not know what you are doing. As root user you can mess up your whole system.
It's not Windows, there is no 'undo' option or "system restore to previous date" function. Gone=gone.
Best is to learn about your operating system and distro, for example Centos. Put it at home on a spare pc and start working and learning with it.
Another good site to learn a lot of Linux is http://www.linuxquestions.org/ and you can also find a lot on Google.

However, please check zEitEr's tips, comments and advise first.

Back