/etc/init.d/functions:

Ravnox

I've just converted to Dovecot and after the installation, I got this error message:

/etc/init.d/dovecot: line 13: /etc/init.d/functions: No such file or directory

I get the same error message when trying to start Dovecot by it's init script..

I'm running Debian if this makes any difference.

Any ideas?

I've sent an email to support and I'll update this thread once I have a fix. In the meantime, if anyone has had this problem and was able to fix it, sharing the fix would be apreciated. Our users can't get their mail right now :/

Also, I've followed the procedure listed here: http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=590.

And if I try to start Dovecot manually, I get:
Error: Can't use SSL certificate /etc/exim.cert: No such file or directory

UPDATE------------------------------------------

The upgrade procedure had not been tested on Debian yet. (I wish it had been written in the doucmentation...) I had to do this to get Dovecot running:

Remove line 13 from /etc/init.d/dovecot

The line should be about "source /etc/init.d/functions"

Then, modify the line "daemon dovecot" to simply "dovecot". Else, you get an error message saying that "daemon command not found".

Then, I had a problem with /etc/exim.cert and /etc/exim.key not found. To fix this:

ln -s /usr/local/directadmin/customapache/apache_1.3.34/conf/ssl.key/server.key /etc/exim.key
ln -s /usr/local/directadmin/customapache/apache_1.3.34/conf/ssl.crt/server.crt /etc/exim.cert

I'm still waiting from technical support to know if this is the "proper" way to do it, but at least, dovecot is running and working.

Last edited:
same problems here, your posts helped me to fix some errors, thanks.

note to the developers: please fix the debian issues, or remove the statements that debian is fully supported (because it isn't)

Hello,

Try this:
Code:
wget -O /etc/init.d/dovecot http://files.directadmin.com/services/customapache/dovecot.boot.debian
For the server.key and server.cert, you method will work just fine. If you want a new certificate, use:
Code:
/usr/bin/openssl req -x509 -newkey rsa:1024 -keyout /etc/exim.key -out /etc/exim.cert -days 9999 -nodes
I'll have to update the build script to handle the "debian" case.

John

<cough>I had this problem when the dovecot update first came up and I did report the bug via email... ;) </cough>

Back