Exim 4.94 update causes email temporary rejects

See: https://git.exim.org/exim.git/blob/HEAD:/src/README.UPDATING

Some Transports now refuse to use tainted data in constructing their delivery
location;

I have a custom script /etc/exim.acl_check_recipient.pre.conf with:
condition = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/etc/virtual/${domain}/aliases}{1}{0}}

But since Exim: 4.94 it does not work anymore, I see Directadmin exim.conf now using:
condition = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/etc/virtual/${domain_data}/aliases}{1}{0}}

But when i do this i get the error:
failed to expand ACL string "${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/etc/virtual/${domain_data}/aliases}{1}{0}}": failed to open /etc/virtual//aliases for linear search: No such file or directory

Anyone know a solution to make it work again?

I have a custom script /etc/exim.acl_check_recipient.pre.conf with:
condition = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/etc/virtual/${domain}/aliases}{1}{0}}

But since Exim: 4.94 it does not work anymore, I see Directadmin exim.conf now using:
condition = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/etc/virtual/${domain_data}/aliases}{1}{0}}

But when i do this i get the error:
failed to expand ACL string "${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/etc/virtual/${domain_data}/aliases}{1}{0}}": failed to open /etc/virtual//aliases for linear search: No such file or directory

Anyone know a solution to make it work again?
Hello.

I have the same errors

Did you find a permanent solution for this? I haven't updated in a few months and I'm running into this now. The rollback also doesn't seem to work.

edit: rollback worked after changing options.conf instead of custom_versions.txt

Last edited:
Looking at this particular bit:

"250 2.0.0 OK 1626077132 h6si12431219vsp.318 - gsmtp"

Means gmail accepted the e-mail. However it may be put into spam. Or if it really thinks it's a bad case, it may just delete it, although I'm not sure about that.

In general forwarding mail like this to either gmail or hotmail is not recommended because it looks like spam. Gmail can't verify if the mail you're forwarding is legit or not.

On CB2 and exim was on 4.4, so did the following and seems to solve the issue:

cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build set exim yes
./build set eximconf yes
./build set eximconf_release 4.5
./build set spamassassin yes
./build update
./build exim
./build exim_conf

Back