Exim 4.95

Yup that was the reason i asked for yes or no SMTP , the sendmail and now more in combination with auth.... not succeeding / succesfull and this newer handling in updated exim is a ....

There then hostname server settings yes or no on domain itself or hostname the spf dkim and all that kind of stuff are handled more strict ( or even wrong) i guess

See also https://bugs.exim.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2813

Ah, yeah I also searched some more, and I think my problem has more to do with what is described here:
https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=78916 (but maybe I'm wrong about that, and it is the exim pam auth)

My exim paniclog also has the
"Unable to call getifaddrs: 97 Address family not supported by protocol"
when sending via sendmail

I think I'll just migrate the codebase from sendmail to smtp
For now I have crontab job running /usr/sbin/exim -q
so email send via sendmail, which end up in the mailqueue, are still delivered in the meantime
(not ideal, but it is working for now, and with dkim btw)

Getting error in panic log when using contact form in WP :
Code:
2021-10-05 12:58:42 Unable to call getifaddrs: 97 Address family not supported by protocol

upgrading to 4.95 is not wise when using phpmail I assume then

maybe problem start when use with apache or php-fpm
sending mail with cronjob or cli, it work fine

I will update to 4.95 with seperate function between smtp and mail() that good thing for me

maybe problem start when use with apache or php-fpm
sending mail with cronjob or cli, it work fine

I will update to 4.95 with seperate function between smtp and mail() that good thing for me
Ha, yes

If I emulate PHP-FPM:

Code:
echo "Subject: Hello" | sendmail -t -f -i mail@tome
2021-10-05 20:17:21 1mXp0D-002tLY-5E 1mXp0D-002tLY-5E no recipients found in headers

No mail, and with:

Code:
echo "Subject: Hello" | sendmail mail@tome

No errors, and I get the email directly in my mailbox

Maybe with a rebuild of PHP it is fixed ( I don't know exactly when and where the -t -f -i parameters are added to sendmail )

/etc/systemd/system/php-fpm74.service

#find
Code:
RestrictAddressFamilies=AF_INET AF_INET6 AF_UNIX

#replace
Code:
RestrictAddressFamilies=AF_INET AF_INET6 AF_UNIX AF_NETLINK

this work but I don't know about security issued "AF_NETLINK"

current php-fpm service have "AF_NETLINK"

Last edited:
/etc/systemd/system/php-fpm74.service

#find
Code:
RestrictAddressFamilies=AF_INET AF_INET6 AF_UNIX

#replace
Code:
RestrictAddressFamilies=AF_INET AF_INET6 AF_UNIX AF_NETLINK

this work but I don't know about security issued "AF_NETLINK"

current php-fpm service have "AF_NETLINK"

I've added it by default to CB:
Code:
2761 - Added AF_NETLINK to the list of RestrictAddressFamilies to the systemd script of php-fpm.

Thank you for the report. 4.95 has still been reverted to 4.94.2 due to the reports. We'll be waiting for the feedback if it works correctly with the new systemd script.

After the revert to 4.94.2 mails still aren't send via php. I can't find any logs related to this problem.

The message is logged in /home/<user>/.php/php-mail.log.

<edit>
after a tcpdump I found out, exim tries to connect to a smarthost we have. We use it for some DA servers, but is configured on the servers with problems. The smarthost wasn't configured to accept mail from these servers (also blocked in the firewall). After I granted access on the smarthost php can e-mail again.
The question is, why does this happen after an update to exim4.95 and back tot 4.94.2?

Last edited:
The problem is solved.

The problem existed only on CentOS 6 servers. After the update from 4.95 to 4.94.2 in /etc/alternatives the following symlinks existed:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Oct 6 10:47 mta-newaliases -> /usr/bin/newaliases.ssmtp
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Oct 6 10:47 mta-mailq -> /usr/bin/mailq.ssmtp
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Oct 6 10:47 mta -> /usr/sbin/sendmail.ssmtp
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 41 Oct 6 10:47 mta-newaliasesman -> /usr/share/man/man1/newaliases.ssmtp.1.gz
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 Oct 6 10:47 mta-mailqman -> /usr/share/man/man1/mailq.ssmtp.1.gz
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 Oct 6 10:47 mta-sendmailman -> /usr/share/man/man8/ssmtp.8.gz
in /usr/sbin besides the binaries of exim the symlink for sendmail:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 Oct 6 10.47 sendmail -> /etc/alternatives/mta
I changed the symlink of /usr/sbin/sendmail to /usr/sbin/exim. Downgraded exim to 4.94 and the symlink was changed back to /etc/alternatives/mta. Then I changed the symlink /etc/alternatives/mta to /usr/sbin/exim. Upgraded again to 4.94.2. Now only the symlink mta was available:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 Oct 7 16:15 mta -> /usr/sbin/exim
Solution:
rm -f /etc/alternatives/mta && ln -s /usr/sbin/exim /etc/alternatives/mta

No, don't think there's a script (don't think it's a good idea).

I actualy just reinstalled the box, it's just a personal box, I backed up the few friends I host on there using the built in system, and restored them afterwards. Worked great, as expected.
If you need a hand, glad to assist here on the forum ;)

Thank you for the offer. But we don't need to convert at this moment, I was just curious.
We just converted a Centos 8 to Alma Linux which went great and fast. And Centos 7 still works until june 2024 so we still got a couple of minutes.
At that time, we don't know if were retired or then the servers are 6 years old and we might setup new ones then.
We expect in 2024 that we know for sure if Alma or some other is best supportted, but we might still consider to install Debian then.:)

Reactions: jca
In my case it now works with updates/rebuilds from httpd and php (I think this fixes the mail sending)

Exim 4.95 is now sending mail straight away from php with mail()
without needing to wait for executing exim -q

Back