Solved Exim 4.96 - can't recieve mail on catch-all after updating

mimic

Verified User
We've updated Exim from 4.95 to 4.96 last night. Since the update catch-all mailboxes can't recieve mail anymore.

In Thunderbird:
Sending of the message failed.
An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:
No such recipient here.
Please check the message recipient "[email protected]" and try again.

In Exim logs:
2022-06-29 07:30:00 H=user-hostname.com ([xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]) [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] X=TLS1.2:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:128 CV=no F=<[email protected]> A=plain:[email protected] rejected RCPT <[email protected]>: Unrouteable address

Users get a reply from the server:
The response from the remote server was:

550 No such recipient here

In the users webhosting settings, catch-all is enabled, and set correctly to their mailbox.

We've reinstalled Exim, with SRS, BC. Redid the config, but the catch-all remains broken.

Edit: running Current branch on CentOS.

What to do?

Last edited:
it still in testing, that why's DA Team not make it into Default settings

Last edited:
Cheers. Might help people on Ubuntu. We are running DA on CentOS however. Should have added that in the first post.

I am using Debian 10 and on Current. And even worse. When downgrading to 4.95 and also the exim.conf to 4.5.37 I cannot get Exim to get started.. I even restored the /etc/exim.conf from yesterdays backup, but I am getting:

Jun 29 10:20:44 waa2 systemd[1]: Started Exim Mail Transport Agent.
Jun 29 10:20:44 waa2 exim[27389]: 2022-06-29 10:20:44 Exim configuration error in line 792 of /etc/exim.conf:
Jun 29 10:20:44 waa2 exim[27389]: option "srs" unknown
Jun 29 10:20:44 waa2 systemd[1]: exim.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jun 29 10:20:44 waa2 systemd[1]: exim.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jun 29 10:20:44 waa2 systemd[1]: exim.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Catch-all delivery has been fixed in 4.5.40, thank you for the report!

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/
./build update
./build eximconf

yep, also experiencing this problem... exim.conf updated to 4.5.39 this morning. SpamBlocker in use. Centos 7.

Interestingly, the [email protected] alias (caught by the catch-all) seems to be going to postmaster -> root -> my administrative mailbox per /etc/aliases settings, so in effect I'm getting some of the customer's email.

Doubly interesting: there appears to be a number of changes in the diff, not sure which one would be causing this issue: https://files.directadmin.com/servi...SpamBlockerTechnology-v4.5.38-to-v4.5.39.diff

Catch-all delivery has been fixed in 4.5.40, thank you for the report!

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/
./build update
./build eximconf
Thanks for the quick response! However 4.5.40 does not show up yet for me. Do I need to change the download/update servers somewhere?

Thanks for the quick response! However 4.5.40 does not show up yet for me. Do I need to change the download/update servers somewhere?
Changed downloadserver to files1.directadmin.com in options.conf and got it now ;-) Thanks! Bad for my health this stuff..

Last edited:
Bad for my health this stuff..
I'm too old for this kind of action, that's why I always test everything on my dev servers before it goes live. But here we see another reason to deactivate autoupdates.

I ran into a strange problem after updating to Exim 4.96.

Exim 4.95:

exiqgrep -i -> display IDs of all messages in the queue

Exim 4.96:

exiqgrep -i -> display only help message

other option like "-c -z -x" are working.

Is it a bug or I have something wrong with e.g. permissions / don't know something ?

Exim update is working, but at the end it says it can't move.
Anyone else has this issue?

Response:
Exim installation complete
Moving exim binary.
######################################################################## 100.0%
mv: cannot move '/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/temp/tmp.ImAwBSgjz4safeDownloadWithMove' to '/etc/exim.conf': Operation not permitted
Move from /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/temp/tmp.ImAwBSgjz4safeDownloadWithMove to /etc/exim.conf failed, exiting...

Back