Exim IPv6 requires SMTP authentication

jimmy1987

Verified User
I'm trying to get my server as far as ipv6 ready as it can be at this time. And aside from directadmin which is not possible at this time I almost have everything running on ipv6 now.

Exim listens on ipv6 and i've got one domein which is configured with an ipv6 address.
The problem I'm having is that with a ipv4 address I can send email through outlook without any configuration because it uses popb4smtp. But with IPv6 it's required to configure smtp authorization because otherwise I would get the mail back with a "550 Authorization required" message.

How can I change this so that ipv6 will also use popb4smtp with exim?

I've made no changes to any code in exim.conf regarding popb4smtp but nevertheless I could never get it to work with port 586, which is the authorized submission port.

I don't know of any reason why popb4smtp should care whether ipV4 or ipV6 is used, but I've never tried to understand the popb4smtp daemon. Perhaps a direct question to DirectAdmin Support is in order.

However I recommend that no one use the work-around which is popb4smtp any longer, but rather be required to use port 587 submission with plain-text authentication. This definitely works with outlook; many of my clients are using it.

My personal feeling is that it's time to use plain-text authentication on the submission port instead of the workaround which is popb4smtp.

Of course this may not work for you, and if anyone else is successfully using popb4smtp on port 587 or on port 25, with ipv6, I'd love to here from them, by way of posting to this thread.

Jeff

Back