Exim painfully slow after system update

Kal

Verified User
I just did a dnf upgrade which was slightly overdue, and updated heaps of random stuff. I rebooted the server and everything seemed fine… except for exim. It was running like a sloth through molasses. Test messages would seem to never leave my mail client. I'd randomly get some connection errors too. Nothing wrong according to the exim logs, and eventually (maybe 20 minutes later) the messages started trickling through… slowly. I tried restarting exim, but that too took a small eternity.

In the end, I rebuilt exim using custombuild, and everything magically righted itself. So I'm sharing this because (1) it may help someone else, and (2) I'm curious whether this is a known thing. I did heaps of yum -y updates on my old server over the years, and exim never choked on any of them to my knowledge. Any thoughts on what might have caused this? After updating packages, do you have a ritual for ironing these kinds of gremlins out of the system?

bdacus01

Verified User
Well if think about the difference between binary and compiled. In general, yum is “go get a bunch of already compiled applications and install them”. When you do that the point in time compiled (da applications ) are still maybe not "updated enough". You might need to recompile the system or apps where the prerequisite (preinstall) binary has changed. Since the point in time compiled ones won’t know they are “really changed”

I run
Code:
./build all
regularity after yum changes. To keep the applications all updated. I find I don’t have to do it all the time. Like you said but sometimes things seem out of sync so I do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kal

Kal

Verified User
Thanks Brent. That makes perfect sense. Sounds like a good habit to get into!

bdacus01

Verified User
Thanks Brent. That makes perfect sense. Sounds like a good habit to get into!
Well, I am in the "Update the System" category. So some might say why did you even update? Also, some would say just update the 1 item that is not working which is fine too. Which is what you did and it helped. I take it a step further and wonder if Dovecot or apache might be next. So the regular guy in me says "Heck" just do it all.. I mean it is just 1 and 0 s... ommv

Reactions: Kal