Exim update failed - can't move exim.conf file?

Loosie94

Verified User
Hi, I just updated my (DirectAdmin) VPS with CustomBuild to version: 2.0.0 (rev: 2939)
but Exim is not running anymore after updating.

When trying to update or rebuild Exim, it stopped at the end and the response is:

Moving exim binary.
######################################################################## 100.0%
mv: cannot move '/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/temp/tmp.E9KhHSWnrOsafeDownloadWithMove' to '/etc/exim.conf': Operation not permitted
Move from /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/temp/tmp.E9KhHSWnrOsafeDownloadWithMove to /etc/exim.conf failed, exiting...
[root@vps0356 custombuild]# ./build exim_conf

What is can be causing this?
I already ran `./set_permissions.sh all` but this didn't work either.
This seems to be a known issue: https://forum.directadmin.com/threa...n-catch-all-after-updating.66474/#post-348961

Hope anyone knows the answer how to fix this, because my clients can't mail at the moment because of this issue...
Many thanks!

Last edited:
Did you solve the problem? I'm having the same problem and couldn't find any solution.

I think you may have immutable flag set for /etc/exim.conf :) Maybe you've customized that file and didn't want it to get updated? Please check:
Code:
lsattr /etc/exim.conf

Getting something similar here:

Code:
Enabling Easy Spam Fighter...
mv: cannot move '/etc/exim.easy_spam_fighter/tmp.BJ52BByl74.exim_check_attachment.sh' to '/etc/exim.easy_spam_fighter/exim_check_attachment.sh': Operation not permitted
install_custom_file: failed to rename '/etc/exim.easy_spam_fighter/tmp.BJ52BByl74.exim_check_attachment.sh' to '/etc/exim.easy_spam_fighter/exim_check_attachment.sh'

Back