exim_conf 4.5.25 - can't send to root?

sparek

Verified User
I've got a .forward file in root's home directory to send mail for root to an external email address.

This seems to have stopped working... some time... the only thing I can think of, is I did update exim_conf to 4.5.25 today. Was it something in there that caused problems?

The error I'm getting is:

root@%servername% R=localuser T=local_delivery defer (-29) DT=0.000s: User 0 set for local_delivery transport is on the never_users list

Can I downgrade exim_conf to 4.5.24 and see if that resolves the issue?

I tried adding

exim_conf:4.5.24

to /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/custom_versions.txt - but that did not seem to have any affect.

Anybody else seeing anything similar?

The contents of the /root/.forward file can be anything - just any external email address - a gmail address for example.

I'm not sure if the forwarding part has anything to do with this. And I really won't say for sure that it's caused by the exim_conf update - that's just the only thing I've done recently.

And as is most always the case... as soon as I post a problem on the forum, I figure out the solution (or A solution).

The solution in this case is to add the external address to the /etc/aliases file

root: %external_email_address%

And mail starts to work.

Question though - did the /root/.forward file stop because of the exim_conf upgrade? Or was it something else?

Hi,
we have same issue in all server s whit exim 4.94 /root/.forward not working anymore.

your solution to add email adress in "/etc/aliases "works whit exim 4.94.

we downgraded exim 4.94 to exim 4.93 . "/root/.forward" works again .

i thing this is bug in exim 4.94..

Looks indeed like a bug in exim 4.94 if it works again in 4.93.
I always use the aliases file so never have issues with this.

Back