external mail servers and forwarders

lnguyen

Verified User
I know if domains on my server have external mail servers, gotta uncheck the local mail server option in the domains.

However, it doesn't seem to be working exactly. If I leave it checked, I will get a failed delivery, as expected. If I uncheck it, mail seems to disappear. No email back saying whether or not there was a failure.

Any ideas on what else I should check? This also applied to forwarders as well.

Thanks
Linh

I'm not sure of what you mean, Linh.

If you uncheck it (and also don't forget to set A records in DNS so the domain has A records for the right servers) the mail isn't going through your servers at all, so what are you expecting to see?

If your hosted domains use external mail servers than none of the options under the DA email control panel will work, as you're not handling email for them at all.

Jeff

I'm sorry, I failed to specify that email from the same server from other domains fail.

For example, you have domainA.com, and domainB.com on the same server. domainB's only difference is the mx servers are external.

now, email from domainA sent to domainB (forwarded in this case) does not get forwarded.

Now, I had a similar issue w/ cpanel machines, and the solution was to remove domainB from the /etc/localhosts file. Is there an equivalent in DA? I thought I read about it somewhere, but can't seem to find it.

Linh

Hey,

This might be what you're looking for:

/etc/virtual/domains

But, I think unchecking the local mail server option is suppose to remove the domain from that file.

David

ok, just adding for anyone that might see this later.

if you're dns is hosted elsewhere as well, make sure you still add the MX servers through the DNS administration on DA as well... that's what I had failed to do.

the /etc/virtual/domains is just for mail I take it then.

Linh

Linh,

If you're hosting DNS elsewhere you shouldn't even be hosting it on DA.

I can't find any place to turn it off though :( .

Jeff

I can't find any place to turn it off though :( .
Jeff
Hi Jeff,

I came across the answer to the above while getting back up to speed on DA:
http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=25

I started with DA in August 2003 but as a newbie thought I needed to go to brand x for the auto script installer. Well I'm back, I want my DA, :). I found the brand x control panel to buggy, email failed, auto script installer unstable, etc. In the meantime I have learned enough to start to admin my own server, I became involved in an OpenSource Project and co-admin that server as well, and I'm learning a little more programming.

You helped me out a year ago and even called me to explain DNS, thanks again, this is my partial re-payment.

Best Regards, webdev1

Thanks, webdev1.

I'd already come up with the idea (I responded in another thread recently) on just shutting off DNS in the control panel, but I don't know if it stays off; I like the method you pointed out to me best.

But I will point out that whoever does this should save the copy of named that they change in the last step; otherwise they'll never be able to turn DNS back on.

Jeff

Back