Features Manager Idea

Bertie

Verified User
Hi,

I think a good feature for DirectAdmin especially with customers coming over from cPanel is to add an easy way to manage "Features" on hosting packages. For example you are easily able to enable or disable every aspect of the control panel on cPanel. If you wanted to create packages that only had DNS Only features or if you wanted an email only package. At the moment there seems to be a bit of backend work compleixity to make this even possible in directadmin. Whereas this feature should apply to all themes or at least the default theme you have set in DirectAdmin.

The goal is to make it easier to make packages that are (but not limited to):

• DNS Only
  • Email Only
  • DNS and Email Forwarding Only

etc

Not sure how much work this would need but I do believe it should be looked into to make it easier.

Thanks!

+1 from me.

I want to give feature of cronjob to every user on my server but need to change package of various users.

Last edited:
Not really sure how I feel about this... I think it's potentially opening a doorway to make DirectAdmin much more complex than it needs to be.

But... one of the more utterly stupid things I think cPanel does, is limiting features based on packages instead of on users.

If I want a specific user to have access to Mailman or cronjobs, I have to copy the package as a new name, create a new feature list with mailman or cronjobs, set the feature set to that new package name, and upgrade/downgrade the account to that new package. Why can't "features" just be enabled at the user level?

So if DirectAdmin decides to go down this path... I think some consideration needs to be made to if you do "features" on a package level or on a user level.

Not really sure how I feel about this... I think it's potentially opening a doorway to make DirectAdmin much more complex than it needs to be.

But... one of the more utterly stupid things I think cPanel does, is limiting features based on packages instead of on users.

If I want a specific user to have access to Mailman or cronjobs, I have to copy the package as a new name, create a new feature list with mailman or cronjobs, set the feature set to that new package name, and upgrade/downgrade the account to that new package. Why can't "features" just be enabled at the user level?

So if DirectAdmin decides to go down this path... I think some consideration needs to be made to if you do "features" on a package level or on a user level.

Either package level or user level would be idea. At the moment you have to mess with skins or CMD_ lists and even then the documentation on that isn't great.

The idea of this feature request is to have a system in place where it doesn't matter what theme you are using that is provided by DirectAdmin. If you want a user or a package to have "Email Only" (an example) functions then it's simple to do and ideally done in the GUI end of the control panel as an admin user.

Last edited:
Having this feature is a must! Specially for those who are coming from cPenel to DA.
In cPanel this is not complicated at all and lets you to offer more flexible plans to the customers.

For example we are offering managed wordpress, in cpanel we could easily disable file manager and many other unnecessary options. But now we should do everything manually which is wrong !!!

Anyone got any further suggestions for this? Would love to see it get add to DA at some point. One of the reasons thats stopping us from going full DirectAdmin to be honest.

-10 !!

DA is NOT cPanel. cPanel and Plesk are there to get things as easy as possible. In DA we get things done! I have used all 3 platforms.
Just get to know DA and love it for the extra things you get, or hate it for being more technical and go back to the other platforms.

You already can do the things you ask, only in a different way....
Since you do not need to make reseller-packages every day, I do not see any reason why the current is not good enough. :cool::p

Please DA keep focussing on the real important things instead of becoming a clone of cPanel or Plesk 🤓😇

(sorry but it really annoys me to see al those cpanel and plesk requests :oops:)

Would love to see it get add to DA at some point.
Then you might best create your request in the new request section where others can upvote it. That way it's easier to see for DA which request are present and in fact how many people like the request, instead of counting unique reply's over here. That's why they put up the new request system.

You also might like to put them up as 2 or 3 seperate request. For example I wouldn't upvote this, but I maybe might upvote email only accounts.

Back