fedora 9

RichardF

Verified User
Can I use fedora 9 for DA?

We run fedora 4.x now on a machine and want to install a new server. Centos isn't supported by our backup software, at least it wasn't a few years ago. Arcserve didn't had a client which was compatible with centos.

regards

Can I use fedora 9 for DA?
You might want to check with DirectAdmin Sales; it could be only that their website hasn't yet been updated.
Centos isn't supported by our backup software, at least it wasn't a few years ago. Arcserve didn't had a client which was compatible with centos.
Any program compatible with Red Hat Enterprise Linux should be compatible with CentOS; At worst you may need to change the contents of the CentOS /etc/redhat-release file to identify it as CentOS.

Jeff

Richard, at this moment it doesn't - I've been looking at the screen while DA compiled everything, including kitchen sink. Meanwhile, after 50 minutes of hard work, the script said something about missed user directadmin and told me that it failed.
very sweet, but useless. FC9 was not released yesterday, than why it is not supported by DA?
PS Jeff, please don't comment

You might want to check with DirectAdmin Sales; it could be only that their website hasn't yet been updated.

Any program compatible with Red Hat Enterprise Linux should be compatible with CentOS; At worst you may need to change the contents of the CentOS /etc/redhat-release file to identify it as CentOS.

Jeff

tnx jeff for the idea. in the mean time I have centOS 5.2 and Mark installed DA on it for us.

when we run into troubles installing the backup client I will try to do what you said.

Wouldn't support be the ones to ask since they are responsible for compiling it for Fedora 9? It does not make any sense to ask the question "why it is not supported by DA" here since we cannot possibly answer it.

Hello,

I've just added an alpha version (band new).. we expect issues with it for a bit until it gets more testing in, but you can try it now. It's not yet recommended for production use.

John

That sounds personal.
If I took it personally I suppose I could have deleted it :).

Lots of times if I repsond to a thread no one else seems to. So I took it as a request for others to comment.

Jeff

you respond like a gentleman Jeff.

All here are trying to help each other I think. Discussing who should reply, what one should say or not is imho a waist of time. But I am more a pragmatic person :)

Support replied, others adviced to use CentOS, which I did. The server is up and running and also in production. Martynas (smtalk) secured the server for me and installed some extra tools, jailed all users to their own home directories. Great service of smtalk.

tnx for all the replies.

Hello

Im installing a new server on a Fedora 9 Box.

The first problem i have, is libssl.6.so.
The systemes looks for 7, so i simlinked the 6 to 7.

Then, the same problem with licrypto.6.so that also needed to be simlinked to the version 7.

Yum is broken after normal DA install. (re install 3 times,and the same each time)
Yum error: No module named _sha256
(something to do with python if i get it right.

I have got a server up and running, but its does not seam very stable.

My last attempt, i did not have access to mysql server with da_admin account.

After that, i messed up things so im reinstalling again.

This is just feedback.
Hope it helps better support for fedora 9 in the future :)

Sky

Well, after having a long day at it, i give up fedora 9 for the moment.

On a fresh install, you cant just install DA.

I found some things to do to get DA working, but i blockef with Bind that required libcrypto.so.7. (i simlinked it to libcrypto.so.6 but does not work)

Step 1 : upgrade ym
Step 2 : update and install gcc-c++
Step 3 : chmod tmp (mysql wont install correct if i dont chmod at least 755 the /tmp dir)
Step 4 : follow this http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=248 (because fedora 9 uses sha-512 and not md5)
Step 5 : install DA

Ok, fine, but...
When DA install openssl, that breaks up Yum (something to do with python and sha-256)
I try to repait yum, but cant get it done.

Then, i found out that Bind whas not working correctly.
Im not sure why, whas not able to repair that either.

Im going to try CentOS know. Enough testing for a day.

Hope this helps.
Sky

Sky,

I'd love to know your reasons for wanting to use Fedora.

Here are my reasons for not using it:

1) Even the Fedora group recommend not using it in production servers.

2) It's a fast moving distribution, and is no longer supported by Fedora after a short period of time.

3) There's no advantage to using such a fast-moving distribution, since all the hosting stack is managed separately by DirectAdmin anyway.

For these reasons (and for the reason that DirectAdmin develops on CentOS, I prefer CentOS. I'd love to know your reason to prefer Fedora.

Thanks!

Jeff

Hello Jeff.

I use Fedora since core 3.
I started with fedora because ... i did not know better at that time.
Then, i got used to it and continued.

I have 2 servers with fedora 6 and they are working fine.

I wanted to try to change my debian server (that did not work as well with DA imho) to Fedora ...
BUT, the hosting company does not let me install fedora 6 anymore, only 9... so :)

Im installing CentOS 5.0 right know.

Regards,
Sky

Last edited:
Hello again.
Not the real subject of this topic, but just say that with CentOS 5.0, the install, securing and users imports took me like 2 hours.

I like CentOS !
Thx Jeff.

Back