File Manager = corruption

Spook

Verified User
Using DA v1.28.0 on FreeBSD 5.4

I normally use WinSCP to edit my site files but from time to time I use the File Manager from within DA.

My site is setup to use SSL for DA login if that might be of any consideration.

Anyhow in the last couple of weeks I have use the file manager several time to edit htaccess files, html and PHP files etc.

It seems that most of the time I have some sort of trash injected into the file that I've edited and resort to WinSCP to correct the corruption. Usually it's something tiny like today I had :
Code:
CarpConf('ai','</li>');
..mutate into a line where the '< of the line turned into a couple high ascii squares and then there was some #52&'; sort of looking stuff -- sorry I didn't copy it from the source before correcting.

It's always something tiny like that and typically nothing I have edited. EG: the index.php file that the above line is part of, I was simply adding an IMG tag to the bottom of the page.

It sort of seems like tidbits are being (trying to be) translated into something.. It's always been very small and isolated like the above example.

I can't say that I've never had success with the file manager and editing files..

In contrast, I have never had corruption injected into a file when editing/saving using SSH + WinSCP.

Because I use WinSCP, I've only very infrequently used FTP for editing through something like HTML-Kit. I have never experienced any corrupt files uploaded with FTP though it's few due to my WinSCP SOP.

I really have no clue what the deal is, everything that I've experienced with SSL is normal so it's hard for me to think the File Manager -> editing would be any problem -unless- perhaps there is some sort of problem in it's code that doesn't work well with SSL. :confused:

Anyhow, if I ever take on clients it's going to be unworkable for corruption problems via File Manager since there is no way I know of to turn it off and just avoid it's use... and I'll not be giving shell access to many (if any) so the WinSCP approach is not really an option beyond my own use.

Almost forgot, also I tried to upload two tiny .png files, around 1.5K each -- choosing each from the "Upload files to the current directory" option -- 1 file in slot 1 and the other in slot 2. Only the file in slot 1 is uploaded. If I recall right, this has been the case since I first had DA installed on this server.

Last edited:
Back