Solved First domain name point to server second domain name to modem

Del S

Verified User
Hello

I’m new in IT but I like to learn, ik think it’s small but I don’t find yet the issues by myself

I can after I install my direct admin panel, reach these in lan network, also I can reach with my domain name:2222 so not any problem about that, but know the problem start, I add extra domain name in the direct admin panel so I do the dns setting the same like my domain name of vps server, but now the second domain name go to my modem/router and not to my server , what I do wrong ? Thx for help

Can you share some screenshots of your config?

I assume you have something like:
domainA.com -> your.external.ip.adr
domainB.com -> your.external.ip.adr

domainA.com:2222 -> DA (works)

domainA.com:80 (or :443) -> website
domainB.com:80 (or :443) -> no website but router webpage

Is that correct?

Did you try domainB from your internal network or external? If you have a port forward for 80/443 to your DA you should never reach your modem/router (externally) if it does that is a bug/issue there.

Internally perhaps the domain was not yet resolved and your router tries to catch it? Try to ping domainB.com to see if the IP is correct (and the same as domainA.com)

Can you share some screenshots of your config?

I assume you have something like:
domainA.com -> your.external.ip.adr
domainB.com -> your.external.ip.adr

domainA.com:2222 -> DA (works)

domainA.com:80 (or :443) -> website
domainB.com:80 (or :443) -> no website but router webpage

Is that correct?

Did you try domainB from your internal network or external? If you have a port forward for 80/443 to your DA you should never reach your modem/router (externally) if it does that is a bug/issue there.

Internally perhaps the domain was not yet resolved and your router tries to catch it? Try to ping domainB.com to see if the IP is correct (and the same as domainA.com)
Yes correct

DomainA my external ip adres
DomainB my external ip adres

Domain A : I get notification : Apache is functioning normally because no website on that, ping domain looks normally
Domain B : I try to put name server but that don’t work zo I go again to dns server and point again my ip external ip adres, if I Ping now domein name B it’s say could not find host www.chatandmeet.be that I point to Versio look attach

btw I did the same DNS records for Domein A and B

thx for replay

Attachments

• 78FB3CF2-C731-4765-8F5D-C3FF9F714D3F.jpeg
    78FB3CF2-C731-4765-8F5D-C3FF9F714D3F.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 12
If I now ping the domain www.chatandmeet.be than I get the same like my domain A but domainA go to my vm server and domain B go to my modem/router there I get the answer of my fritzbox DNS Rebind security

That seems ok, when I go to the domain you mentioned I simply see your website so either it is working now of your router is doing something strange internally.

Do you still have problems?

Hi , yes I see he do now right, I don’t change anything, I just remove domainB in my DA and add again and install again Wordpress I add also www.chatandmeet.site without Wordpress and these point to my router now or is that because I don’t have any applications on that domainname that’s point to my modem ?

Oh now that also work ? You think that’s because my DA dns do a time for point my domainname to my domainname hosting ?

Now I find other issue if I put https in front it point to my modem if I put http it point to my DA

Both .be (wordpress) and .site (DA under construction page) work here from my end. Yes it takes time to update/sync DNS changes

O and nothing 'points' to your router. It all points to your external IP. Your router can then decide what it wants to do with a request on port 80. It can forward it to your DA or it can serve it's own webpage. What I think is happening that the DNS changes where not synchronized yet and that either your PC or your router "catches/forwards" the request and serves the webpage of the router.

That is why I always suggest to ping then you are sure that the correct IP is set. Oh and also your browser can cache DNS/IPs

And for HTTPS you need to forward port 443 do you have that?

Yes I open poort 2222 ; 53 ; 80 and 443

that’s enough or to much ?

Both .be (wordpress) and .site (DA under construction page) work here from my end. Yes it takes time to update/sync DNS changes

O and nothing 'points' to your router. It all points to your external IP. Your router can then decide what it wants to do with a request on port 80. It can forward it to your DA or it can serve it's own webpage. What I think is happening that the DNS changes where not synchronized yet and that either your PC or your router "catches/forwards" the request and serves the webpage of the router.

That is why I always suggest to ping then you are sure that the correct IP is set. Oh and also your browser can cache DNS/IPs

And for HTTPS you need to forward port 443 do you have that?
So the best is that I can put off the webpage of my modem ?

Will get me a FRITZBox page with an error message. It seems your FRITZBox already listens on port 443, it cannot both listen to 443 AND forward 443.

So it seems that the internal webserver overrides the port forward. I don't know this model but you can most likely change the port (or disable the web UI for external use that might work too)

Thank you so much I change te port of the modem webserver now everything working good

Will get me a FRITZBox page with an error message. It seems your FRITZBox already listens on port 443, it cannot both listen to 443 AND forward 443.

So it seems that the internal webserver overrides the port forward. I don't know this model but you can most likely change the port (or disable the web UI for external use that might work too)
thanks so much I change my modem web service to other port and now everything work great even on https

Back