First time VPS / DirectAdmin user setup MySQL Server

CypherBYTE

Verified User
Hi,

I am a database developer and I have just purchased a VPS with DirectAdmin. My goal is simply to have a MySQL server with root access so that I can fully control it with few restrictions that my applications can use as a data source, from anywhere.

Essentially, I am a newbie when it comes to setting up such a system. I can log in to DirectAdmin, but basically everything I try says it wants a default domain setup. I manage other domains on a shared host config, so everything is easy there. I'm really not sure what I need to do next.

Is there a setup guide that would help step me through the initial things I need to do to reach my goal?

Thanks.

You can always access your mysql server via SSH. So if you need a MySQL server with root access, that is what you already have.
Not sure where you need Directadmin for then.

However, if you want to access things via the Directadmin panel, yes then you need an account. You already have admin, but you can't do much without a domain.
Didn't you use a hostname like vps.domain.com for use with Directadmin? If yes and you can use that domain, login as admin, switch to user level and add domain.com as domain name.
After that you can do a lot more, also access phpmyadmin via the DA panel or externally.

Or am I missing something now?

Thank you for taking the time to reply. You're not missing anything!

SSH is new to me so I have a long way to go still. This is why I think I am needing DirectAdmin as I really don't know many SSH commands.

I have managed to give it a subdomain and things are operating now. I also managed to find some help within DirectAdmin itself, which gave a gentle nudge in the right direction.

I have managed to get a database running in MySQL and just figured out how to modify php.ini to increase some limits, so I am making progress now.

You can find out some Root Mysql at "/usr/local/directadmin/conf/my.cnf", It use by default installer directadmin.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. You're not missing anything!

SSH is new to me so I have a long way to go still. This is why I think I am needing DirectAdmin as I really don't know many SSH commands.

I have managed to give it a subdomain and things are operating now. I also managed to find some help within DirectAdmin itself, which gave a gentle nudge in the right direction.

I have managed to get a database running in MySQL and just figured out how to modify php.ini to increase some limits, so I am making progress now.
Good just keep reading and learning.

I will do my best to do so! I'm quite excited about it all... a new toy to learn :)

My latest challenge is to sort out an issue in phpMyAdmin where if I create a table, the "Columns" branch of that table show letters instead of field names. Everything works but it's odd. If I click on a letter then I get an error "Failed to get description of column A! ". I do enjoy a challenge but far out this is a big one!

You can find out some Root Mysql at "/usr/local/directadmin/conf/my.cnf", It use by default installer directadmin.
No you're not.
Many people always confuse the da_admin with the root mysql user which is not the same and not have the same password.
In the file you pointed to you will find the da_admin password, which has the same rights as the root mysql user.
However, there is also a root mysqluser present with a different password.
This password can be found at /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/setup.txt after installation.

I will do my best to do so! I'm quite excited about it all... a new toy to learn :)

My latest challenge is to sort out an issue in phpMyAdmin where if I create a table, the "Columns" branch of that table show letters instead of field names. Everything works but it's odd. If I click on a letter then I get an error "Failed to get description of column A! ". I do enjoy a challenge but far out this is a big one!

Have you find the solution for this. I'm getting the same issue .. "Failed to get description of column..." !!

which version of phpmyadmin are you using ?
its the latest 5.0.2
  • Server type: MySQL
  • Server version: 5.7.30 - MySQL Community Server (GPL)
  • Protocol version: 10
  • Apache/2
  • PHP version: 7.3.19
  • phpMyAdmin: 5.0.2

"Failed to get description of column..." Issue fixed after downgrading the phpMyAdmin from 5.0.2 to 4.9.5

I never did figure it out, but after asking my provider for support on it, they also came back with a downgrade to phpMyAdmin fixed the issue.

I don't think I would ever have found that. I found the article that Active8 linked, but it said "I can no longer change any columns in any table in any database on my server" as a bug description. That didn't describe my problem at all. My database was fully functional. Nonetheless the downgrade solution was the same.

Yes, my database was also working fully. it was just showing the first letter of the column name in the navigation tree and it shows the error when clicking on it.

So does that mean that the latest version of phpMyAdmin is basically borked? You'd think that with something so significant they would have patched it and released a fix....

This a good example of why its best to use the command line to access mysql.

Back