Forward email without leaving a copy

Veeman

I can't find how to prevent DA from leaving a copy of an email message after it has been forwarded.

Would have expected a "forward value" similar to
:fail: will return a failed message to the sender
Something like
:remove (will remove original message after it has been succesfully forwarded), or
:move (will move a message to the forwarding address instead of copying it there)

The background to my question is that I would like to prevent mail boxes from overflowing, even if the user does not check mail from this mailbox.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The default action for forwarded mail is to NOT leave a copy. The only way for forwarded mail to leave a copy is to also have a email account set up for it.

The background to my question is that I would like to prevent mail boxes from overflowing, even if the user does not check mail from this mailbox.

This has nothing to do with forwarded email. This is a separate issue. I don't know how you would determine which mailboxes should be emptied. A user could be using his mailbox as a backup. Maybe he wants a copy stored there in case he needs it. In that case he would only check it if he needed the backup.

veeman,

delete the email account created and use forwarder instead if you dont want to leave a copy. this is the only workaround at the moment.

this is the only workaround at the moment.

Its not a work around. It is the way it is supposed to work.

If want to forward mail then you do not create the email account.

If you want to pick up mail on the serve then you do not forward it.

If you want mail to go to two different places then you can do that as well but if the email account is on the same server as the forwarder then two cannot have the same name.

This is by design. No work around needed. A work around is when you want to do something that the software was not intended to do.

If veeman created an email account and then also a forwarder with the same email address then the software is doing exactly what he told it to do.

Thanks so much. Indeed, I had both a forwarder as well as an email account with the same name. Assumed that the forwarder would be a "rule" applied BEFORE new mail reaches a mail box. Knowing that it is a PARALLEL rule, everything is clear, including the statement that forwarding has no influence on what gets into ones mailbox and therefore on overflow.

Back