FreeBSD: End-of-life for all FreeBSD Operating Systems: January 1st, 2022

DirectAdmin Support

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

We have no regrets with our longtime support of FreeBSD, especially when others refused to do so.
However, demand has virtually ceased and we do not feel justified in using development resources on a product that has reached a nearly 0% order rate.

We're officially announcing end-of-life support for all FreeBSD installs effective January 1st, 2022.
This change will also allow us to focus on Linux-specific features for an all-round better product.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any questions or concerns regarding this decision.

John and the entire DirectAdmin team

LoL, sorry, that Boo just made me laugh.
Pity for you as you were really starting to like it. I didn't know it was that old and that little used.

And luckily for me as I just wanted to install it to see how it looks and feels. Maybe I still do it for fun. Otherwise I'm going to do some Debian testing too.

But I can really imagine that DA stops support for it. Seems logical to me.

LoL, sorry, that Boo just made me laugh.
I wanted it to..
I didn't know it was that old
It predates Linux.
that little used.
Historically it has low usage.
Debian testing too.
Been using Debian 10 for a year or so. Its solid.
I can really imagine that DA stops support for it.
Most companies do.

I hope you all are well over there.

Been using Debian 10 for a year or so. Its solid.
As is Centos. Reallly odd they stop with it. Debian is solid too but if one can upgrade major versions with DA in realtime (f.e. Debian 9 to Debian 10) without issues, that would be a real concern to change to Debian in due time.
I've read this is possible, I'm just not trusting it 100% yet and I like Centos more.

At the very least, FreeBSD users can be thankful for DirectAdmin's communication and 6+ months of notice. It could be much worse.

Hello,

We have no regrets with our longtime support of FreeBSD, especially when others refused to do so.
However, demand has virtually ceased and we do not feel justified in using development resources on a product that has reached a nearly 0% order rate.

We're officially announcing end-of-life support for all FreeBSD installs effective January 1st, 2022.
This change will also allow us to focus on Linux-specific features for an all-round better product.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any questions or concerns regarding this decision.

John and the entire DirectAdmin team
Hello,

John, after 12/31/2021 will FreeBSD servers with DA lifetime licenses no longer receive automatic renewals every 30 days and these licenses will be expire?

Thanks,

The license.key files should still work fine with normal updates for now. You just won't get any directadmin/dataskq binary updates.
At a certain point, you'll likely feel the pain from lack of DirectAdmin updates, eg: SSL often drops old protocols over time, or you'd be missing new features/fixes, etc. It's possible that at some point, some change could happen which does need the binaries to be updated, but those changes wouldn't ever arrive, so you might not be able to sit on the OS forever.

I am a FreeBSD user, and was close to going with it for my directadmin set up which I started a little under a year ago. I went with ubuntu20 in the end and the deciding factor was really bubblewrap which in the end was just so much easier than going with ugidfw. So those looking for a replacement, ubuntu20 does give you native zfs, can upgrade to the next os release very easily, and works with DA very well.

The license.key files should still work fine with normal updates for now. You just won't get any directadmin/dataskq binary updates.
At a certain point, you'll likely feel the pain from lack of DirectAdmin updates, eg: SSL often drops old protocols over time, or you'd be missing new features/fixes, etc. It's possible that at some point, some change could happen which does need the binaries to be updated, but those changes wouldn't ever arrive, so you might not be able to sit on the OS forever.
Hello,

John, thanks for explanations.
I am planning migration to Debian.
I just don't know if I can do it all by the end of this year and hence my question.

Greetings

R.I.P.

This has forced me, after ~20 years (FreeBSD 3.x-12) to shut down my last FreeBSD servers and migrate everything to Debian.

I always joked about systemd and now I'm living the nightmare as DirectAdmin becomes the last commercial panel to ditch *BSD support. Just when you thought 2020 was a bad year...

Back