FrontPage Extensions

RadMan

Verified User
Create admin function to turn off Frontpage Extensions so users cannot have the ability to use this obsolete feature?

Microsoft doesn't support it anymore neither..

After nine years of being an award-winning Web authoring tool, FrontPage will be discontinued in late 2006. We will continue to serve the diverse needs of our existing FrontPage customers with the introduction of two brand-new application building and Web authoring tools using the latest technologies: Office SharePoint Designer 2007 for the enterprise information workers and Expression Web for the professional Web designer.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/frontpage/default.aspx

Create admin function to turn off Frontpage Extensions so users cannot have the ability to use this obsolete feature?

Microsoft doesn't support it anymore neither..

Might be a good idea....sooner or later people may stop using it. But if it's taken out of the control panel, perhaps there should be a howto on how to set it up for a user who still uses FrontPage.

I still have a few folks who use it...and I suspect that they will continue to use FrontPage for a long time.

Might be a good idea....sooner or later people may stop using it. But if it's taken out of the control panel, perhaps there should be a howto on how to set it up for a user who still uses FrontPage.

I still have a few folks who use it...and I suspect that they will continue to use FrontPage for a long time.

THat's one of the reasons why I'm sugesting it be an ON/OFF switch which could be used optionally in re-seller packages.

Cheers...

THat's one of the reasons why I'm sugesting it be an ON/OFF switch which could be used optionally in re-seller packages.

Cheers...

It would have to be an on/off switch for each domain the reseller created....and I suppose each admin that creates resellers world also need an on/off switch controlling whether or not the reseller could provide Front Page.

It would have to be an on/off switch for each domain the reseller created....

Why not just for a package that is created..

Package A: FrontPage ON
Package b: FrontPage OFF

Then all of a sudden it becomes a reseller/user choice and the reseller will be able to charge a different fee for each package if he so desires. If hosting for more than one domain is available in that package, then they all would get it and then the necessity of allocating permission for each domain wouldn't be required (I think ;)..)

and I suppose each admin that creates resellers world also need an on/off switch controlling whether or not the reseller could provide Front Page

Not maybe but for sure.. :)

Cheers

Why not just for a package that is created..

Package A: FrontPage ON
Package b: FrontPage OFF

Then all of a sudden it becomes a reseller/user choice and the reseller will be able to charge a different fee for each package if he so desires.

Sounds like a plan....maybe DA will take it under consideration.

Here's what's available now:

CGI Access
PHP Access
SpamAssassin
Catch-All E-mail
SSL Access
Cron Jobs
System Info
Suspend At Limit

What other options might be appropriate? Ruby? I must admit, I am not that converstant with the latest Bells, Lights and Whistles for web pages...I tend to avoid folks that want all that, as in my limited experience they are like some women....the maintenance level is way too high compared to the level of satisfaction.

Sounds like a plan....maybe DA will take it under consideration.

I hope so.. I turned the option off on my RAQ's and nobody even missed them.. :)

What other options might be appropriate? Ruby? I must admit, I am not that converstant with the latest Bells, Lights and Whistles for web pages...I tend to avoid folks that want all that, as in my limited experience they are like some women....the maintenance level is way too high compared to the level of satisfaction.

Ruby is coming on strong from what I'm reading.. Methinks it would definitely be a good one to make available as an option..

This may be a tough one but it would be cool to have both series of php (4 and 5) on the servers so one could select either or.

I know smtalk has some sort of feature that is similar but one of the versions is a cgi version.. I'm not impressed with cgi versions of php as we have to constantly modify our scripts to make them work on servers that are using it.. Real pain in the butt.. :(

WEBMAIL... THis one is important IMHO..
Right now there are THREE types of webmail features added into the software... In my opinion this is rediculous (but then again it's just MY opinion) as it's an open invitation to magnify server loads and dramatically increase the potential of a spam source

For existing user's I would have to agree that it would probably be easier to leave the features the way they are because the changeover would be a coding nightmare, BUT there is nothing stopping the implimentation of a select feature so the admin could select ONE, TWO or all THREE of the programs... Admin should also be able to select which webmail program would be the default one linked to the Webmail icon in the top navigation row... Admin would then be able to create new reseller packages limiting the number of email programs being offered and gradually fade the old system out..

Right now there is no choice... You have to accept all three along with the default one...

There are a few other little things that could be implimented in order to facilitate the ease of operation of this software but I won't go into them as nobody gives a **** and they will come up with some sort of argument to negate the suggestion(s) anyway...

Last edited:
I hope so.. I turned the option off on my RAQ's and nobody even missed them.. :)

I also killed off asp

Ruby is coming on strong from what I'm reading.. Methinks it would definitely be a good one to make available as an option..

This may be a tough one but it would be cool to have both series of php (4 and 5) on the servers so one could select either or.

I know it can be done with Perl....don't know about PHP.

WEBMAIL... THis one is important IMHO..
BUT there is nothing stopping the implimentation of a select feature so the admin could select ONE, TWO or all THREE of the programs... Admin should also be able to select which webmail program would be the default one linked to the Webmail icon in the top navigation row... Admin would then be able to create new reseller packages limiting the number of email programs being offered and gradually fade the old system out..

DA has already posted that they will not go along with that...it's a shame, since the next time one of the webmail programs goes EOL, they and we will have to go around in the same silly circle.

There are a few other little things that could be implimented in order to facilitate the ease of operation of this software but I won't go into them as nobody gives a **** and they will come up with some sort of argument to negate the suggestion(s) anyway...

I think part of the situtation is that a lot of folks think that DA is as good as it gets...and thus "know" that the DA Way is the One True Path. There appear to be a few really big grasshoppers around.

But, unlike the old Cobalt days, the DA folk(s) participate in the forums, make changes and I believe are interested in making the product better.

Just remove it from the server and you are done. You might want to remove the link from the skin too. 2 steps and you are done.

Just remove it from the server and you are done. You might want to remove the link from the skin too. 2 steps and you are done.

Which skin program contains the Front Page selection? I assume that's the one you're talking about?

I overlooked the fact that you could change the skin...thanks for pointing it out.

Yea right..

Thom... Can you post the comand to find that config file???

I tried to make some changes to DA html files last month.. Problem is, the updates they provide overwrite any changes you may make.. :(

Have to go to a custom skin... :(

Well, now I am confused.....if you are referencing the statement John made:

to your directadmin.conf, restart DA, and frontpage is no longer in the skins.

You could log in via ssh and from the command prompt type
locate directadmin.conf
You should see something like
/usr/local/directadmin/data/templates/directadmin.conf
/usr/local/directadmin/conf/directadmin.conf

I think what you do is modify both of the directadmin.conf files...and then copy /usr/local/directadmin/data/templates/directadmin.conf to
/usr/local/directadmin/data/templates/custom/directadmin.conf

What that does is tell DA the next time there is an update to use the
one in the custom directory.

Is this what ya needed, or did I misapprehend your request?

locate directadmin.conf
You should see something like
/usr/local/directadmin/data/templates/directadmin.conf
/usr/local/directadmin/conf/directadmin.conf

Thanks Thom... That's what I needed to find the file so I can do this:

http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=754

I can't believe he took off without responding on the other thread... He hung around for over a half hour... :mad:

Thanks Thom... That's what I needed to find the file .
I can't believe he took off without responding on the other thread... He hung around for over a half hour... :mad:

Glad I could help. support can be a real pain....simply because you may not know the skill level of the person you are trying to help, and they may not know how to describe the problem. Since you asked how to find the .conf file, it was real easy for me to tell you about locate.

So, you've now learned another shell operation.....they really ain't too bad.

One problem very experienced folks may have is explaining how to do something...simply because if they have it at the ingrained, automatic, don't gotta think about it, just like they were born with it, to explain how to do it can really be a chore....think of teaching someone how to ride a bike, work a gear shift or even tie their shoes.

Maybe we should jot all this stuff down in the Grasshopper Chronicles.

What the hell is he talking about here:

I think, which may be hazardous to your health and my reputation, that when you restart DA you're gonna see the message??? Seems to me you have already set the frontpage value to 0.

Try it...if it's asking a question, answer no so that the evil Front Page extensions are not installed.

Then the rest of the instruction is telling you what changes need to be made in SKINS/user/show_domain.html .... which you can find using the locate crystal ball.

I think, which may be hazardous to your health and my reputation, that when you restart DA you're gonna see the message??? Seems to me you have already set the frontpage value to 0.

Try it...if it's asking a question, answer no so that the evil Front Page extensions are not installed.

Then the rest of the instruction is telling you what changes need to be made in SKINS/user/show_domain.html .... which you can find using the locate crystal ball.

This is what u see when you restart it:
Code:
[root@server1 ~]# service directadmin restart
Stopping DirectAdmin:                                      [  OK  ]
Starting DirectAdmin:                                      [  OK  ]

Seems to have disappeared without adding the rest of this jargin:

Code:
SKINS
user/show_domain.html

add:

|*if FRONTPAGE_ON="yes"|
before the frontpage line, and
|*endif|
after it.

Olle crap... Take yer pick boys...Throw a dart LOLOL

Code:
[root@server1 ~]# locate user/show_domain.html
/usr/local/directadmin/data/skins/power_user/user/show_domain.html
/usr/local/directadmin/data/skins/enhanced/user/show_domain.html
/usr/local/directadmin/data/skins/enhanced/user/show_domain.html.save
/usr/local/directadmin/data/skins/enhanced/lang/en/user/show_domain.html
/usr/local/directadmin/data/skins/default/user/show_domain.html
[root@server1 ~]#

Okay, so DA has added a way to disable it globally. Your users can enable/disable it on a per-domain basis. And you can build your skins to include it or not exclude it.

So what's the problem?

Jeff

Back