Frontpage or Dav

FrontPage and FrontPage extensions are no longer supported by Microsoft. They've pulled permission to do new downloads, and it's been removed from all legal distribution sites. The company that integrated it to work with Linux is no longer allowed to work on it.

Don't hold your breath.

:(

Jeff

What about WebDav? The new SharePoint Designer (product that replaced FrontPage) uses either WebDav or FrontPage extensions.

jlasman, the problem is that mod_dav support is installed by default, but DirectAdmin still doesn't have a feature to "install DAV" as it has to install "FrontPage extenstions", so, for now user has to configure everything by himself, and that's not good. John said before 3-4 months that he is going to implement DAV to DirectAdmin, but we still don't have it...

So really we are just looking for the button in DirectAdmin for WebDav

As it stands, DAV needs all files to be controlled and uploaded by the apache user. This is insecure, so unless anyone knows of a suid method for using DAV, it may not happen.

I still don't see what the problem with FTP is :P
The microsoft "web folders" do support FTP, just type in your ftp:// server and away you go. IMO, any file managers done through apache are not supposed to be there. It's like bringing in a live cow through the front door of a restaurant while everyone is eating. The meat should enter through a different door (kidding, but you get my point). Frontpage also supports FTP. FTP runs as the user, will not cause any permission errors, and is far more secure than having files uploaded by apache for everyone on the server.

John

Thanks for the explanation, John. The problem, of course, is that clients want ease of use, and don't care about security.

Given what you've written, we're happy enough to tell our clients we can't run insecurely on a shared server; they can always buy a dedicated or virtual private server if they want to be insecure :).

Unless anyone proves there's a way to do it without having to upload as httpd.

:)

Jeff

As it stands, DAV needs all files to be controlled and uploaded by the apache user. This is insecure, so unless anyone knows of a suid method for using DAV, it may not happen.

I still don't see what the problem with FTP is :P
The microsoft "web folders" do support FTP, just type in your ftp:// server and away you go. IMO, any file managers done through apache are not supposed to be there. It's like bringing in a live cow through the front door of a restaurant while everyone is eating. The meat should enter through a different door (kidding, but you get my point). Frontpage also supports FTP. FTP runs as the user, will not cause any permission errors, and is far more secure than having files uploaded by apache for everyone on the server.

John

Well, is it possible to remove the text 'Frontpage Extensions' in the control panel on user level (when using apaxhe 2.x) or find a other solution for this.

There are still questions from end users - how to enable - where it's no possible.
And, as you say, when it's EOL, why then still show it?

Back