FTP accounts usage

jca

Verified User
Hi, one of my clients has around 20 ftp accounts for different persons. They usually upload/download small files, and he keeps some archives in there for backup purposes (patients photos, etc).

Now, lately his ftp bandwidth usage has more than double, and it happened some doctor leeched the backup compressed files instead of using the unpacked ones hence using way more bandwidth (downloading 1GB files instead of 4mb files) yet this caused him (and me) to wonder if there's any way to check what is the bandwidth usage per FTP account.

I've looked around and found nothing, is there any way to implement this? Somebody has this up and running? Any advice?

Thanks!

Jose

The only thing you can give a try is looking the FTP log files for each FTP account what he/she is downloading/uploading?

I tried that, yet the problem is having around 10 doctors, upload/download around 5 files every half hour (each patient). Like I said we did find the guy downloading the .zip files (easy to grep that) yet, it would be nice to be able to see how much bandwidth each ftp user is using; kinda like you can monitor the usage of each domain/subdomain.

Back