Horde Webmail 5.1 = awesome mobile support

interfasys

Verified User
h5slider.png

With version 5.1, the Horde team has released not only one of the most fully featured webmail, but also the most powerful Open Source version of Exchange ActiveSync you can get.

ActiveSync Feature Grid
Works very well on BlackBerry 10 (secure) and Android (ymmv) devices.

WARNING: YOU CANNOT USE THE ACTIVESYNC ENGINE IF LOCATED IN THE US
ActiveSync is a patented protocol in the US and there seems to be a conflict with the GPL v2

On top of that, it supports CalDAV and CarDAV if you only require calendar, tasks and contacts sync.

Here is the official announcement.

The Horde Team is pleased to announce the final release of the Horde Groupware
Webmail Edition version 5.1.0.

Horde Groupware Webmail Edition is a free, enterprise ready, browser based
communication suite. Users can read, send and organize email messages with
four different webmail interfaces and manage and share calendars, contacts,
tasks and notes with the standards compliant components from the Horde
Project.

For upgrading instructions, please see
http://www.horde.org/apps/webmail/docs/UPGRADING

For detailed installation and configuration instructions, please see
http://www.horde.org/apps/webmail/docs/INSTALL

The major changes compared to the Horde Groupware Webmail Edition 5.0 versions
are:

General changes:
* Added file manager.
* Added bookmark manager.
* Support for NoSQL backends.
* Checking all installed packages for updates.
* Many further improvements.

Mail changes:
* Added message thread view to dynamic mailbox preview.
* Support drag & drop of attachments, linking attachments, attaching PGP
public keys, and attaching vCards in dynamic view.
* Allow drag & drop, uploading, and pasting of images into the HTML editor.
* Display Virtual Folders in smartphone view.
* Added attachment uploading and saving compose drafts to smartphone view.
* Added taphold message action menu to smartmobile mailbox page.
* Allow HTML trailers for messages.
* Allow to set special mailboxes, spam reporting, and permissions per
backend.
* Added support for NoSQL caching and logging backends.

Filter changes:
* Composite script and transport backends.
* Added vacation driver for ISPConfig and custom SQL queries.

Address book Changes:
* Added CardDAV server support.
* Updated SQL schema.
* Allow to search all search fields at once.

Calendar and Tasks changes:
* Added CalDAV server support.

Notes changes:
* Added ActiveSync synchronization of notes.

Attachments

• h5slider.png
    h5slider.png
    104.5 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:
Thanks for letting me know. Our preesident has announced new proposed legislation against patent trolls, but as everyone has opined on slashdot, the real problem is the kind of patents we allow and award.

Jeff

DA + Horde Groupware Webmail Edition 5.x

Has anyone attempted this with Da 4.5.x?

I used to like Horde years ago when it was installed along with DA.

I've been looking over available imap clients for hosting but of the DA canned options, 2 of which I guess are long since EOL, it's down to squirrelmail for the time being. Hoping for a bit of developement on that.

May just scrap the whole webmail idea anyhow since none seem to be very mobile friendly and most any computer or mobile should have an imap capable client already.

..nonetheless, despite a few features I'd like to see added to Horde 5.x, I may have to try and integrate it with one of my DA systems. Let me see.. that will be project number.. uh, couple digits should do it.

Has anyone attempted this with Da 4.5.x?

I used to like Horde years ago when it was installed along with DA.

I've been looking over available imap clients for hosting but of the DA canned options, 2 of which I guess are long since EOL, it's down to squirrelmail for the time being. Hoping for a bit of developement on that.

May just scrap the whole webmail idea anyhow since none seem to be very mobile friendly and most any computer or mobile should have an imap capable client already.

..nonetheless, despite a few features I'd like to see added to Horde 5.x, I may have to try and integrate it with one of my DA systems. Let me see.. that will be project number.. uh, couple digits should do it.
It's got nothing to do with DA, so you can install it just fine as a standalone solution. Now that Custombuild supports things like Pigeonhole, it even got easier for most admins to remove the whole useless email section in DA and let users manage everything from the Webmail.

Horde is very mobile friendly. It has a mobile interface and supports ActiveSync, including policy management. Admins can enforce those and remote wipe devices if required.

I suggest you wait for 5.2 which is just around the corner and which will add a couple of improvements for mobile including sender selector and multiple sources/folders for tasks and calendars.

Hi, thanks for the info!

I guess the DA relationship I eluded to is the various e-mail related stuff (forwarders, etc) and account/user DA reciprocity that seems to be present. I guess that is more related to dovecot..

Pigeonhole.. great. ;-) something more to investigate, yet something that definantly steering me towards a CB 2.0 upgrade.

I assume you're using Horde?

Any sort of blatent privacy matters with it? (EG: google spelling in roundcube)

Creating accounts in DA is not really a problem as it's the person who manages the account who has to create the email accounts anyway. It makes no difference to create them in DA vs the webmail.
The important thing is that mail users want to be able to manage their forwarders, filters, vacation messages either from their desktop, mobile or web apps and that means getting rid of the whole email section in DA and letting Pigeonhole take control.

Regarding privacy, Horde is very flexible and has a GUI for all its settings and generally good documentation, so you'll get to choose which APIs or local binaries you want to use.

I haven't used Horde for email in probably over ten years, so I don't know how good it is for managing pigeonhole and how good it's plugins are.

RoundCube has some filter rules that can let you use it as a rudimentary auto-reply or possibly even vaction auto-responder, but I like DirectAdmin's control panel better as far as flexibility.

As to whether users should have control of their own email settings or need to rely on their company's systems administrator, there are plenty of people on both sides of the fence. I'd like to see it offered as an option.

Has anyone been using the DirectAdmin email user plugin? How good is it? What ae it's limitations?

Jeff

I haven't used Horde for email in probably over ten years, so I don't know how good it is for managing pigeonhole and how good it's plugins are.

RoundCube has some filter rules that can let you use it as a rudimentary auto-reply or possibly even vaction auto-responder, but I like DirectAdmin's control panel better as far as flexibility.

As to whether users should have control of their own email settings or need to rely on their company's systems administrator, there are plenty of people on both sides of the fence. I'd like to see it offered as an option.

Has anyone been using the DirectAdmin email user plugin? How good is it? What ae it's limitations?
The app within Horde which allows people to configure filters is called Ingo
"Ingo, the "Email Filter Rules Manager", started as a frontend for the Sieve filter language, and is now a generic and complete filter rule frontend that currently is able to create Sieve, procmail, maildrop, and IMAP filter rules"
http://www.horde.org/apps/ingo

It comes with Blacklist, Whitelist, Forwards, and Vacation, but admins or users can write their own filters using wizards or standard sieve verbs. The Sieve scripts can be managed either by the webmail or any client which can talk to it.

My problem with the email plugin is that users have to use another interface to do something that they usually do from within their client app. The DA interface does not know about emails and can only build generic rules, not ones based on emails just received.

My problem with the email plugin is that users have to use another interface to do something that they usually do from within their client app. The DA interface does not know about emails and can only build generic rules, not ones based on emails just received.
Here's where you lose me a bit, because if you're using Horde to create Sieve rules, or RoundCube to create ?Sieve rules you end up with the same thing. The RoundCube rules do the filtering at the dovecot level so any mail client can use them. How does Horde do anything differently for users using other email clients?

Jeff

Here's where you lose me a bit, because if you're using Horde to create Sieve rules, or RoundCube to create ?Sieve rules you end up with the same thing. The RoundCube rules do the filtering at the dovecot level so any mail client can use them. How does Horde do anything differently for users using other email clients?

Jeff
That's right, Horde, Roundcube, Thunderbird all allow users to do the same thing: manage their filters via Sieve rules without having to use the DA cp.

I agree, Horde would be a much better option that Squirellmail. Roundcube can be used for people with simple needs and Horde would be the power option.
I would wait until Horde 5.2.1 is released though. There are many synchronisation issues with 5.2.0

I've had major issues in moving RoundCube users between servers. The problem is exporting/importing records from the database.

Does Horde also use MySQL? And if so, does it have an import/export ability that can be integrated into the DirectAdmin backups?

Jeff

Back