How are you supposed to know your existing password if your changing it?

pucky

Verified User
Seriously, this is flawed logic. To change the password on an existing email address you have to enter your existing PASSWORD before you can change it to a new one? Seriously? How does that work?

I'm curious. Obviously, if your changing your password your probably need to do that because you cant remember what the existing one is. So then how do you change your password if you dont have the existing one?

I dont get this. Please remove this ridiculous password check or give us the option to disable it cause it makes no sense.

Last edited:
Where are you looking? See http://www.site-helper.com/email.html and you will see where you can change the password, and it doesn't show a place to require the original password.
I had exactly the same complaint for a client yesterday. Turns out he was using his main login as his email, and yes, you can change it, but when you try it does ask you to enter the old password.

A security issue? Risk?

If you've installed the 'Change Your Password' link into your login screen uses who forget their login/email password can get it sent to them, but only for their main login. That will change the username email password as well of course, and those with searate mailboxes can then change them without a password.

Jeff

Where are you looking? See http://www.site-helper.com/email.html and you will see where you can change the password, and it doesn't show a place to require the original password.

Just try to change the password for any email address on the users control panel side. You see the field, EXISTING PASSWORD and you must fill this in to reset the password.

sitehelper is old and outdated.

Just try to change the password for any email address on the users control panel side. You see the field, EXISTING PASSWORD and you must fill this in to reset the password.

sitehelper is old and outdated.
I just did that on a few different email addresses, and there wasn't an "EXISTING PASSWORD" field, only the "New Password" and "Re-Enter Password" were there, just like on the site-helper site. It may appear old and outdated, but I see that particular page was last updated in November 2011. I don't think any new visible changes were added since then, so there was no need to update that page since.

Current DirectAdmin Password: <<<-------------------- HERE
Enter Password:
Re-Enter Password:
DirectAdmin Account
Main FTP Account
Main Database Account

There are the fields. Please fill it in.

Last edited:
That, as Jeff said was only for the main login. A normal email account for a domain does not require the old password.

Here is a screen shot of the main account used as an email, notice there is a prompt for the old password, just like Jeff said:
Screen Shot 2013-02-21 at 8.33.58 AM.png

This is an email account that is NOT the main username, notice the lack of the old password prompt:
Screen Shot 2013-02-21 at 8.33.27 AM.png

Because that is changing a user account. Of course it is going to require a password. If you dont want to require a password login as admin user and change the password. The second one is only changing a mail account.

Back