how can i add domain for my server

nimait70

Verified User
Hi, i rented one dedicated server with direct admin and i dont know how can i set domain to my server.
please help..tnx

please explain for me if u know. it's not there what i want.
for example my server ip is 42.42.42.42 i want to set my domain to 42.42.42.42

You should search the forums on how to setup and use DNS, on how to point your domain to your IP.

You have to go to your registrar where you registered your domain name. Edit DNS there and point to the ip of your DA server.

add a test ip o name for a test

Following the idea of seting up...

I have direct admin installed, and I will move a site from another host, but I dont want to move or change dns server names,not yet, I want to upload the site first to test it an when is ready then move it... so lets say in my 23.23.23.23 ip I want to upload the site to test it, how can I do that? I have ftp access and I dont see the public_html folder and If I go directly to my 23.23.23.23 I get this "Apache is functioning normally"...

Sorry for make it so elaborated, thanks for your soonest reply...

How are you logging in? What username? What do you see as the directory structure?

Jeff

I log in as admin in the admin level and if when I go ftp I see this...

-admin_backups
-domains
-sharedip
-suspended
-imap
-maildir
-cur
-new
-temp
-user_backups

Have you created a domain from the DirectAdmin control panel. That's the first step.

Start witH:

http://www.site-builder.com
http://reseller.site-builder.com
http://admin.site-builder.com

to learn how to use DirectAdmin to set up accounts.

Once the site is set up, the ftp path from any username login to the document root (the root http directory) will probably be:
Code:
domains/EXAMPLE.COM/public_html

We do not recommending using ftp as admin, because we do not recommend passing admin's password n plantext.

If your domain will be set up under the admin username, then you should probably use a separate ftp account (which you can set up from the DirectAdmin control panel) to upload your site.

If you don't understand how to administer a webserver, and don't want to take the time to learn now, but simply want to host your own site, then you probably shouldn't be administering your own server.

Jeff

Hi Jeff I said that I don't want to create a domain before I create a test environment like a normal IP to test. I create a user and give ftp access and create a pub_html, but it didn't work, I tried before ..

But maybe I will look somewhere else where instead tell me I shouldn't hosted they offer me a solution... i thought I could get a friendly and support answer... but thanks for try... I will try what you said...

...I don't want to create a domain before I create a test environment like a normal IP to test...

Setup a user for this website via DirectAdmin, for example "testuser", upload your files to that user's public_html and then go to http://42.42.42.42/~testuser and test the website.

Is this what you are looking for, or I misunderstood your question?

well is not exactly what I want, because I need to test it in my own IP, when the site is ready then I just point DNS and is all done...

Or please explain me how can I setup my own IP to and have it the public_html to that IP... Maybe my question is dumb... but If I have ftp admin access I want to upload the html in the public_html folder... I thougt it was folder defualt under domains folder but is not...

I create a user "yofu" and when I type the url I get the 404 error, but I login FTP and I dont see anu yofu or public_htm

Thanks for your time and consideration...

What is it that Themis wrote that is incompatible with setting it up on your user?

DirectAdmin by default serves websites from:
Code:
/home/USERNAME/domains/EXAMPLE.COM/public_html
Simply go ahead and set up your username and your domain name (even if you don't own it yet), and then on your local system (the one you're testing from) add the entry you need to your hosts file so your browser will go to your IP# when you type in your domain name.

If you're trying to find the yofo user under ftp you can't, simply because the security model of both Linux and FreeBSD is that only root can navigate to other users' directories, and root cannot use ftp. You need to log in as the user. That puts you into the user's root directory and then you navigate to domains/EXAMPLE.COM/public_html, of course replacing EXAMPLE.COM with your own domain name.

Again, the domain name doesn't need to exist anywhere except on your server as long as you set up your hosts file properly. I just spent ten minutes googling to find a page to show you how to do this; I couldn't find one :(. So unless you tell us what your local system is, I can't tell you how, but if you do it, and then set up on your server as if you've already bought your domain, all just works.

Don't worry if you don't know your domain name yet; you can change it later.

Jeff

Hi,

I am newbie in DirectAdmin. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Currently, I am working on the website abcd.com in bluehost but i want to migrate it in a separate server where direct admin in configured.
now my problem is, the server do not have a domain so i created one and added a .png file to check how it is working.

As per few support threads i tried to check the.png file via IP but it is not working at all. please help

Hi,

I am newbie in DirectAdmin. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Currently, I am working on the website abcd.com in bluehost but i want to migrate it in a separate server where direct admin in configured.
now my problem is, the server do not have a domain so i created one and added a .png file to check how it is working.

As per few support threads i tried to check the.png file via IP but it is not working at all. please help
you must use temporary domain/subdomain that points to this server, or add a record to Your "hosts" file in your OS of your PC like:
new_da_server_IP new_abcd.com
this will look like:
12.34.56.78 abcd.com
save this file, than when you will open in browser abcd.com - it will look for it at 12.34.56.78 (and will ignore real DNS setting)

Guys please.... 8 year old theads for current problems.
Please check posting dates and create a new thread for your issue, which can be cause by something completely else. Things will change in 8 years.

Guys please.... 8 year old theads for current problems.
Please check posting dates and create a new thread for your issue, which can be cause by something completely else. Things will change in 8 years.
Sorry, I was completly lost on this issue

you must use temporary domain/subdomain that points to this server, or add a record to Your "hosts" file in your OS of your PC like:
new_da_server_IP new_abcd.com
this will look like:
12.34.56.78 abcd.com
save this file, than when you will open in browser abcd.com - it will look for it at 12.34.56.78 (and will ignore real DNS setting)
Thank you for the quick reply...

As i have added the domain via DirectAdmin and tried the way you suggested but it is not working at my end...when setting the IP with domain name (created in Direct Admin), the original site is displaying not the one i created in DirectAdmin.

Any suggestions?

maybe original with WWW subdomain?
then this record will look like:
12.34.56.78 abcd.com www.abcd.com
also maybe you use VPN plugins? then you must disable them

You are magician brother....

Thank you very much, your suggestion worked like magic...you saved me :)

Last edited:
Back