How delete Apache Log?

eConcept-Web

Verified User
Hi everybody, i woud like delete the apache error log. How we do that? thx all and Direct Admin is the best panel :)

/var/log/httpd/*

Delete what you need - main ones should be access_log and error_log

Chris

I just check the size of my log dirs with: du -h mydir | grep mydir$

Well, I just see that the size of this log dirs are a little big higher.

The /var/log/httpd dir is 35 Megs, /var/log/exim is 41 Megs and the /var/log dir is 92 Megs. The question is how can I make the dir /var/log not to exceed 20 MB (I don't even know if this is enough).

I am waiting for some suggestions, about what should be normaly the size for the /var/log dir and how can I keep that size to that value, so I do not have problems with the server functionality.

Thanks.

We use logrotate - it works fine on average volume servers

pico -w /etc/logrotate.conf

daily
rotate 2
create
compress

leave the remainder of the file and add any additional log files you require rotation for there also.

Chris

My /etc/logrotate.conf file looks like this:
Code:
# rotate log files weekly
weekly

# keep 4 weeks worth of backlogs
rotate 1

# create new (empty) log files after rotating old ones
create

# uncomment this if you want your log files compressed
#compress

# RPM packages drop log rotation information into this directory
include /etc/logrotate.d

# no packages own wtmp -- we'll rotate them here
/var/log/wtmp {
    monthly
    create 0664 root utmp
    rotate 1
}

# system-specific logs may be also be configured here.

Does this mean that all the file from /var/log directory are rotated once a week, or do I have to specify the dirs from /var/log which I need to be rotated.

That will configure all your main logs - on a standard redhat install it should cover all (if not, most) of the logs in /var/log when you install additional software that doesnt rotate its logs then you can configure them at the bottom of that file and it will include them also.

Chris

Back