How do I create new user accounts?

splasher

Verified User
Hi there DirectAdmin,

I am a reseller and I have created four domains that I administer. I actually do the administration of those domains by logging in to the reseller account and then enter the User Level. That way I avoid creating any Packages.

Now I have a colleague who I want to give access to for just one of the domains at the user level. Where and how do I create such an account for him.

Regards

Dominique

Hey,

Basically, as the Reseller create at least one User Package and then create a User.

The domains you are administrating are under your Reseller account and when (as a Reseller) you create Users they will have their own logins.

David

David,

Thanks for the swift reply.
Even before submitting my original post to this thread, I tried creating a package and then a new user account as you suggest, but I was forced to nominate a domain in the web form provided for the new user. I naturally typed the domain name of the domain for which my colleague needs access, but when I submit the request, I get a response telling me that the domain already exists, and so the user account cannot be created. The error text is:

"Cannot create user
Details
That domain already exists"

So I don't think that approach will work for me.

Your reply did give me an idea though. I'm going to enter a completely fictitious string at the URL text box and see what happens. I can anticipate that the problem will then be that DirectAdmin won't know to which domain the user belongs. Oh well ....

Dominique

Hey,

I'll ask the obvious here...

Is the domain you are wanting to give your colleague access to already on the server?

If it is one of the domains you created under your admin control then that would be the problem.

If it's a new domain to the server then that will be different.

David

David,

I've been using DA for about a month. I'm the reseller. I dove in on the first day and created four domains (under the reseller account) before creating any packages and before creating any users. All four sites were ftped to the server, the DNS Servers were transfered across and everything is working fine.

So right now I have four domains and no users (except myself; I'm not sure whether you call a reseller a user or not!).

Yesterday I successfully created a package. So now I want to create a user who can log on to DA and has sufficient priviledges to only be able to see the user level of just one of the four domains.

Hope this makes sense, and hope you still have the patience to help me out.

Regards

Dominique

Hey,

Sorry about the delay.

Since you are a Reseller here's what I'd suggest. This is the safest and isn't hard to do.

1.) FTP to the domain you are wanting to give to the new user and download ALL the files for the site to your local machine.

2.) Login to DA as the Reseller and remove that domain from your account.

3.) Create a new user with that domain as the new users domain. (I don't think DA will let you create a user with a domain that is already on the server so that is why you download the site and delete it first.)

4.) Once the new user is created then you can FTP the site to the new user.

A big question would be whether there are emails associated with that domain. If so then you should retrieve those prior to removing the site and then create those accounts under the new user.

Since you are a Reseller that is probably the best way to do it.

If you were Admin and scould ssh into the server you could do it this way:

http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=108

HTH,
David

David,

Thanks, I had figured I might have to do it the way you suggested. Basically you're saying I need to start from scratch and create the user first, and let the system create the domain implicitly as a by-product of the user.

I'll wait for a quiet moment to do what you suggest. As a relative outsider, I find it a bit odd that DA does not allow more than one user per domain. What if it is a big project requiring 24 hour maintenance? I guess different people would have to use the same account details.

Once again, David, thanks for your help.

Dominique

Back