cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build set_fastest
./build update
./build update_versions

That works, I now have the latest version, I'm now running the
./build fts-xapian
and I think it's working!

After the build command ran for a while it gave the following error:

configure: error: icu 60 or higher is required, but was not found.
Trying to make fts-xapian 1.3.3
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

What version of ICU are you on?
Code:
./build versions
Latest version of ICU4C: 66.1
Installed version of ICU4C: 66.1

Code:
./build update
./build icu

Try this?

What OS and version?

Okay, I'll try to upgrade my CentOS version (riskier than I thought) before November and let you know how it worked out.

Thanks for all the support!

Okay, I'll try to upgrade my CentOS version (riskier than I thought) before November and let it know how it worked out.
You cant directly upgrade. You must do a fresh install. I would jump straight to version 8 btw.

We're having issues with fts xapian, for example Mailbox is only 10MB big, but xapian-indexes folder gets to over 1GB size over time. Maybe it indexed all the emails ever received but never noticed the customer deletes the emails soon (pop3 etc.)?

Customers complain as they are over quota because of this and their mailboxes are almost empty...

I also tried reindexing or optimizing the mailbox, but all it does is deletes all files and folders in xapian-indexes folder.

EDIT: it looks like this is expected behaviour. It also looks like xapian is indexing attachments and can create the DB many times the size of the messages themselves. I'll try fiddling with some other config options.

EDIT2: I've reverted to solr, magnitude faster initial database building and much smaller database. Although it would be nice if solr could keep the database in each user's Maildir, the benefits outweigh this drawback for us, YMMV.

Last edited:
We're having issues with fts xapian, for example Mailbox is only 10MB big, but xapian-indexes folder gets to over 1GB size over time. Maybe it indexed all the emails ever received but never noticed the customer deletes the emails soon (pop3 etc.)?

Customers complain as they are over quota because of this and their mailboxes are almost empty...

I also tried reindexing or optimizing the mailbox, but all it does is deletes all files and folders in xapian-indexes folder.

EDIT: it looks like this is expected behaviour. It also looks like xapian is indexing attachments and can create the DB many times the size of the messages themselves. I'll try fiddling with some other config options.

EDIT2: I've reverted to solr, magnitude faster initial database building and much smaller database. Although it would be nice if solr could keep the database in each user's Maildir, the benefits outweigh this drawback for us, YMMV.
fts-xapian code quality is really, really terrible.
Memory leaks, file locking issues and much more
Until the code is completely rewritten, I wouldn't hope that any patch would improve it.

fts-xapian code quality is really, really terrible.
Memory leaks, file locking issues and much more
Until the code is completely rewritten, I wouldn't hope that any patch would improve it.

Any solution?
How can I install Solr? any article?

Back