How to make a full server backup

bcx

Verified User
Hello,

I'm wondering if it's possible to make a full backup of all software that has been installed.

I building a new dedicated server.

Installed openlitespeed, php 7.2 - 7.4, mariadb, firewall, etc..

Now that everything is set and configured.

Can you make from this a backup?

No
System Backup is just backup your data and manual restore
It can add custom folder or file that you want to backup

You can do it from the command line with tar and exclude certain directories like /proc and some others and of course exclude the backup file name.

You can also rsync to a backup server directory, again excluding certain directories.

Thank you all!

What are those important folders? It's the first time that I thinked of it, but can't find any related solution on how, what commands, the folders.
This could save a lot, when i'm need to order an new unmanged dedicated server in the future, and only need to perform possible updates by than.

For details I'm using
Debian 10
Directadmin

I thought you were making a backup for the current server. If you are doing a new server it should be manually installed. There will be things on the new server that will be different such as the UUID of the drives. You will probably spend more time debugging the problems.

Just write up a list of things that need to be done and follow that. The new install can be done quickly.

Hi Floyd,

Logic! Didn't thought about the disks. Yeah, I have a list. But okay, then this topic can be closed.
I thought this could be useful, to make it a bit automated this way, and save me and others some time with it.

Its just my opinion. Some others may have some ideas to make it work.

Reactions: bcx
What about any snapshot something that everything can be restored with a few clicks while you have a cup of coffee ?

Remember we are not talking about restoring to the same server. We are talking about taking the backup and restoring onto other hardware which includes different hard drives and different network interfaces and who knows what else. I get wanting to make it simple by simply doing a restore but I think you are asking for more problems. And its not an option in DA. DA doesn't even offer to restore on the same server.

To give a try use:

Code:
cd /;tar -cvpzf backup.tar.gz --exclude=/backup.tar.gz --exclude=/proc --exclude=/tmp --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/dev --exclude=/sys /

Then transfer it to the / of the new server and untar it.

But it is possible on the same server? Until the SSD needs to be replaced?

ps: Under Admin Level.

I have Admin Backup / transfer & System Backup

Are those the same? With the whole new DA admin skin, I'm confused.

Again, this topic is not that important, I appreciated though everyone who contributes to it!

If the SSD is the only thing that is different then you can probably do it and you only have one thing to fix.

Back