how to make domain-level backups?

lkbryant

Verified User
hi,

how can a user create a domain-level backup?

a user complains that everytime he wants to create a backup, it creates backup for all his domains, and when he restores, it restores all his domains to it's previous state.

any way we can just create a backup per domain level?

where did the logic go wrong here.

I don't think that you can backup each domain. You backup user's files (domains, databases, configs, everything that's connected to the user you are backing up).

You can try creating backup and then manually edit the tar.gz file.

Yeah I know that but if a user has around 20 domains on his user account, and he wants to just restore one domain from there because of something got messed up or something, it's going to restore all 20 of his domains, putting all the domains back in time losing all work changes on the other domains.

Any chance we can see a domain-level backup directly from the control panel any time soon? So that a user can backup/restore his site on demand?

This would be an excellent feature for the clients to have imho.

*You have to understand a user would not have any knowledge of untarr'ing, nor have access to, etc...*

Hello,

I'm going to have to take a look at the code-base to see how much work it would be to do a single domain backup... and possibly single domain restore. I'm not yet sure on the level of complexity the new code would require.

John

Reactions: WHI
John,

A single domain restore should be pretty simple; a restore today of a backup from which domains have been removed only restores the the remaining backup(s).

Jeff

any updates on this ....I too would really appreciate a way to backup a single domain via the DA GUI

This becomes particularly handy when a user with many domains happens to sell one of his domains.

Editing gzip files is a proper pain in the ass way of doing it :(

But remember too that restoring a domain will not restore any databases for scripts that domain used. So you may still have to open the backup file to find the files you need.

I need this to

Have some users with more then 10 domains and the like to make backup only for one domain. Any news...

I suppose that should be moved in Features Request or create a thread there for get DA Staff to start thinking about implementation.

I've been always wondering why would ever anybody need it? Who has nowadays sites made in simple HTML without using MySQL (please do not mention flash sites)? And how would Directadmin know what exact Database is used on what domain? Since it's almost impossible to organize and manage the relationships between PHP code and particular MySQL DB used by it, I see the feature meaningless. But if directadmin staff manage to solve this issue, then it might be a good feature for small and/or medium companies (or freelancers) which (or who) develop web-sites for customers and host all of them under one account, bought from a hosting company.

Well maybe should give a way to select which db to save with that domain (or automatically save all) and save all email and settings for that specific domain (ex subdomains).

Actually is not a bad idea, the mysql issue is a little part, give the user a way to select what backup or backup all automatically is better than nothing at all :)

Regards

Yes, if to speak about real time backup, which you trigger in directadmin, it might be a solution. Of course the administrator of an account should know what database correlates to what domain. But if to speak about offline backup run by cron? And on what level the backup should run? Should an administrator of the hosting server know correlations of every DB on the server? Or should reseller?

Well, at user level should/would work perfectly, set a cron for "this/those domain" and "this/those mysql" at this time... i dont see any difference, once is working on a real time triggered backup that would work in a cron too. Am i wrong?

I suppose that should be just in user level, at reseller/admin level usually is important to backup the entire user, but.. a single user can/should have more need to backup a single of his domain for save space/bandwidht or simply cause his home internet line is not that speedy to download huge mb/gb of data.

well, thats is just my opinion ofc :)

Regards

There are clients that host more than one domains under the same account.
The majority of our clients, at least, use the same acount for more than one domains.
To be able for them to backup separately their domains, or at least the related data and databases so that they are able to restore a CERTAIN database and not all of them, would be a great feature and it would really make the difference in the hosting control panel industry.

And yes, there are ways to overcome this issue, but note that many resellers and users are inexperienced. A feature like that would lead to less tech support tickets, better services, cheaper prices and of course more happy customers for hosters and more licences for DA...

Back