How to set up postmaster and hostmaster addresses?

Richard G

Verified User
I tried to make those by creating forwarders, that works, but if I check via dnssy.com I get this notice:

I got an error response to my "RCPT TO:<[email protected]>" message. Your mail server does not accept mail addressed to "[email protected]". I expected a response beginning with 250, but got the response:

550 Legitimate bounces are never sent to more than one recipient.

However, when I send a mail directly to [email protected] it's accepted and arrives at the forwarded addres.
So why doesn't the one from dnssycom check?

I also tried to change the aliases file to disble hostmaster and postmaster in there, but then another error occurs:
2017-06-14 15:49:01 H=arwen.z-host.com (dnssy.com) [81.xxx.xxx.xxx] F=<> rejected RCPT <postmaster>: Unrouteable address
2017-06-14 15:49:01 H=arwen.z-host.com (dnssy.com) [81.xxx.xxx.xxx] incomplete transaction (QUIT) from <> for [email protected]
2017-06-14 15:50:05 cwd=/ 2 args: /usr/sbin/exim -bpu

What is the best way to set it up so it is accepted, or did I already set it up correctly because a direct mail will be accepted?

Hello Richard,

Tested my domain and got the same. Though telnet session goes fine:

Code:
# telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 server.domain.com ESMTP Exim 4.89 Thu, 15 Jun 2017 15:38:32 +0700
[B]HELO arwen.z-host.com[/B]
250 server.domain.com Hello arwen.z-host.com [127.0.0.1]
[B]MAIL From: <[email protected]>[/B]
250 OK
[B]RCPT TO:<[email protected]>[/B]
250 Accepted

But their test returns 550 Legitimate bounces are never sent to more than one recipient.:

Code:
2017-06-15 15:33:09 H=arwen.z-host.com (dnssy.com) [81.94.198.122] F=<> rejected RCPT <[email protected]>: Legitimate bounces are never sent to more than one recipient.

Thus I may assume they doing something wrong on their side (they check RCPT TO twice per one session):

Code:
# telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 server.domain.com ESMTP Exim 4.89 Thu, 15 Jun 2017 15:43:37 +0700
[B]HELO arwen.z-host.com[/B]
250 server.domain.com Hello arwen.z-host.com [127.0.0.1]
[B]MAIL From: <>[/B]
250 OK
[B]RCPT TO:<postmaster>[/B]
250 Accepted
[B]RCPT TO:<[email protected]>[/B]
550 Legitimate bounces are never sent to more than one recipient.
Connection closed by foreign host.

exim.conf has these lines:

Code:
  drop  message = MULTIPLE_BOUNCE_RECIPIENTS
        senders = : postmaster@*
        condition = ${if >{$recipients_count}{0}{true}{false}}

hence the bounce occurs.

Ah that's good, if you got the same then it must be something on their end indeed.
I did set it up correctly and don't need to worry then.

Thank you for testing Alex.

Code:

hence the bounce occurs.

Hi Alex,

I have a setup where [email protected] is set as alias .. when i send testemail from an according identity (from: [email protected] and bcc to: [email protected]) [ i use kmail] i also stumble upon this error.

Is there a way to tell DA/exim to honor this instead of causing errors ?

kind regards Christoph.

Hi Christoph,

In a theory you can remove that part from exim.conf

Code:

in this case you will need to maintain your own version of exim.conf. It's not very handy.

Alternatively you can use /etc/exim.acl_check_recipient.pre.conf and add your own statement there to allow emails for your particular case. This way you will update exim.conf with custombuild without issue.

The question is what to add into /etc/exim.acl_check_recipient.pre.conf? I'm not sure yet. It should something that will prevent others from spaming you, and allow your particular case.

Back