HOWTO : Apache/Tomcat (at last !!)

problem with tomcatd

i have installed tomcat as the instruction said.
and by running tomcatd : root@server bin]# tomcatd start
Starting Tomcat: Using CATALINA_BASE: /usr/local/tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME: /usr/local/tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/local/tomcat/temp
Using JAVA_HOME: /usr/local/java/java

[root@server bin]# tomcatd status
Tomcat is stopped

tomcat does not run
i dont know why..
any clues?

re

ah , yea. Ive omitted one sign in config file.
it is strange , jsp uses a 10.4 % of ram (512 insalled)
quite much , isnt it ?

Hi,

yes, tomcat use a lot of RAM. You can decrease the amount of memory beeing used by tomcat by modifing the startup script.

e.g. You can specify '-Xmx256m -Xms128m' as part of TOMCAT_OPTS. That'll set your max/min JVM heap size to 256/128MBs.

nebukazar said:
Hi,

yes, tomcat use a lot of RAM. You can decrease the amount of memory beeing used by tomcat by modifing the startup script.

e.g. You can specify '-Xmx256m -Xms128m' as part of TOMCAT_OPTS. That'll set your max/min JVM heap size to 256/128MBs.
Yeah, one thing you'll have to understand is that JSP runs different from other server-side languages, such as PHP. In it goes through more at runtime, not to mention as Tomcat has to turn your JSP code into servlets, which are slow.

Also it depends on how you code, has it's not wise to use too many JSP tags in your HTML, rather place it in a .java or .class file.

I can't get past part 8 of the instructions...

What am I doing wrong? I followed each step and all the suggestions in the topic but in part 8 where I have to do a ./buildconf.sh I get the following output:

----------
[root@server native]# ./buildconf.sh
rm autom4te.cache
libtoolize --force --automake --copy
./buildconf.sh: line 7: libtoolize: command not found
aclocal
./buildconf.sh: line 11: aclocal: command not found
autoheader
./buildconf.sh: line 13: autoheader: command not found
automake -a --foreign --copy
./buildconf.sh: line 15: automake: command not found
autoconf
./buildconf.sh: line 17: autoconf: command not found
rm autom4te.cache
----------

I am running on a RedHat 9 box with DA installed.

Kind Regards,
Onno

I am evaluating whether to switch from cpanle to DirectAdmin. Since one of my service is JSP and servlet support and I see the How-to is on Tomcat version 4 , pls tell me whether DA support Tomcat 5.0.x??

Is it the same installation method as the How-to at the beginning of the thread??

Tomcat5 is slightly different from tomcat4 but you should be able to do the installation. I didn't tried to install it yet but it shouldn't be too complicated.

Did you manage to migrate successfully your Cpanel/Tomcat customers to DA?

harrisliu said:
I am evaluating whether to switch from cpanle to DirectAdmin. Since one of my service is JSP and servlet support and I see the How-to is on Tomcat version 4 , pls tell me whether DA support Tomcat 5.0.x??

Is it the same installation method as the How-to at the beginning of the thread??

albatroz said:
Did you manage to migrate successfully your Cpanel/Tomcat customers to DA?

Not yet , as I am still struggling between DA and CPanel. Besides, my server hardware is still not ready.

The lack of Chinese translation is another problem for me and my clients

i have followed the steps except step 9 i can't locate

LoadModule perl_module /usr/lib/apache/libperl.so

instead i found

LoadModule perl_module modules/libperl.so

was that correct? i'm using RHE

Hi,

Yep, that's fine. You just need to add the mod_jk module to the httpd.conf file.

Re: I can't get past part 8 of the instructions...

resolveit said:
What am I doing wrong? I followed each step and all the suggestions in the topic but in part 8 where I have to do a ./buildconf.sh I get the following output:

----------
[root@server native]# ./buildconf.sh
rm autom4te.cache
./buildconf.sh: line 7: libtoolize: command not found
aclocal
./buildconf.sh: line 11: aclocal: command not found
autoheader
./buildconf.sh: line 13: autoheader: command not found
./buildconf.sh: line 15: automake: command not found
autoconf
./buildconf.sh: line 17: autoconf: command not found
rm autom4te.cache
----------

I am running on a RedHat 9 box with DA installed.

Kind Regards,
Onno

anyone find a workaround/fix for this? i get same thing. I installed automake/libtool from RPM..the scripts actually run, but now i get:

rm autom4te.cache
aclocal
/usr/share/aclocal/z-ac_withnone.m4:3: warning: underquoted definition of AC_WITHNONE_IF
run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
or see http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal
/usr/share/aclocal/z-ac_withnone.m4:16: warning: underquoted definition of AC_SUBST_WITHOUT
/usr/share/aclocal/z-ac_subdir_files.m4:15: warning: underquoted definition of AC_SUBDIR_FILES
/usr/share/aclocal/z-ac_prog_cp_s.m4:25: warning: underquoted definition of AC_PROG_CP_S
/usr/share/aclocal/z-ac_define_versionlevel.m4:40: warning: underquoted definition of AC_DEFINE_VERSIONLEVEL
/usr/share/aclocal/z-ac_cond_with_level.m4:30: warning: underquoted definition of AC_COND_WITH_LEVEL
/usr/share/aclocal/z-ac_cond_with_level.m4:84: warning: underquoted definition of AC_COND_WITH_LEVEL_DEFINE
/usr/share/aclocal/z-ac_check_typedef.m4:15: warning: underquoted definition of AC_CHECK_TYPEDEF_
/usr/share/aclocal/z-ac_check_typedef.m4:34: warning: underquoted definition of AC_CHECK_TYPEDEF
/usr/share/aclocal/z-ac_check_symbol.m4:11: warning: underquoted definition of AC_CHECK_SYMBOL
/usr/share/aclocal/z-ac_check_symbol.m4:38: warning: underquoted definition of AC_CHECK_SYMBOLS
/usr/share/aclocal/z-ac_check_func_in.m4:8: warning: underquoted definition of AC_CHECK_FUNC_IN
/usr/share/aclocal/z-ac_check_func_in.m4:48: warning: underquoted definition of AC_CHECK_FUNCS_IN
/usr/share/aclocal/z-ac_check_cc_opt.m4:18: warning: underquoted definition of AC_CHECK_CC_OPT
/usr/share/aclocal/z-ac_caolan_func_which_gethostbyname_r.m4:20: warning: underquoted definition of AC_caolan_FUNC_WHICH_GETHOSTBYNAME_R
/usr/share/aclocal/z-ac_arg_with_path_style.m4:29: warning: underquoted definition of AC_ARG_WITH_PATH_STYLE
NONE:0: /usr/bin/m4: `unloadmodule' from frozen file not found in builtin table!
autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
aclocal: autom4te failed with exit status: 1
autoheader
NONE:0: /usr/bin/m4: `unloadmodule' from frozen file not found in builtin table!
autoheader: /usr/bin/autom4te failed with exit status: 1
automake: autoconf failed with exit status: 1
autoconf

rm autom4te.cache

Hi,

Which versions of automake and libtool did you installed ? And which version of RedHat are you using ?

nebukazar said:
Hi,

Which versions of automake and libtool did you installed ? And which version of RedHat are you using ?

hey. i was able to get rid of the "warning: underquoted definition of" messages, by editing the said file and putting the variable in question between [ ].

as for the "NONE:0: /usr/bin/m4: `unloadmodule' from frozen file not found in builtin table!", i still have no clue. from what i saw on message boards all around is that the m4 files were created with a newer version of m4 than what i have. but i had rpm upgraded the one i have...still no go...info below:

# m4 --version
GNU m4 1.4.1

# automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.9.2

# libtool --version
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5.10 (1.1220.2.130 2004/09/19 12:13:49)

# uname -a
Linux wassaze.******.*** 2.4.18-14 #1 Wed Sep 4 13:35:50 EDT 2002 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

thx for help!

nebukazar said:
Hi,

are you using redhat 9 ?

(see /etc/redhat-release)

hmmmm no actually...

# cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.4.18-14 ([email protected]) (gcc version 3.2 20020903 (Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7)) #1 Wed Sep 4 13:35:50 EDT 2002

:\

tomcat works but ?

tomcat doesnt list as default index.jsp files
in main wem.xml file i have :
<servlet-mapping>
<servlet-name>jsp</servlet-name>
<url-pattern>*.jsp</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

in my servlet installed from .war file

<web-app>
<welcome-file-list>
<welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
<welcome-file>index.htm</welcome-file>
</welcome-file-list>
</web-app>

anyone knows how to solve it ?
or force tomcat to list index.jsp

hi,

I would recommend you to use the .htaccess file and change the DirectoryIndex function to what you want to.

e.g. DirectoryIndex index.jsp index.php index.cgi and so on...

re

.htaccess has nothing to do in that case.
it is tomcatd , no apache.
:(

Back