HOWTO: Install MRTG (FULLY AUTOMATED)

My mistake you just use hostname/mrtg
Logged in via ssh the "localhost" command should give it to you.
You set the hostname when you installed DirectAdmin, if you didn't install it then why are you asking as your hosting provider must do it for you ;)

hosting provider? I have my own Dedicated but didnt installed al the software.

Then you have administrator privileges?
Then you sould be able to login to ssh and run that command.

You can also get the hostname by logging into directadmin and going to the Administrator Settings page from the admin level.

loopforever said:
Icheb - That would be a great addition. I also so mention in another thread of a script that outputs mysql process information. I think these are two features we can easily include in the install script. With the addition of these I will also fix the bug that is report CPU usage incorrectly.

I'll try and get in touch with you shortly to put your Apache hit counter in the "system" script.

I pmmed you the additions / modifications I did.

Furthermore I'd like a mysql monitor that logs number of query's, number of cache hits and number of slow query's per 5 min avg or something. Although I do have to admit, I'm to busy with a few projects to code that myself.

is there a way to get mrtg to monitor exim in/out messages and viruses/spam etc?

sander815 said:
is there a way to get mrtg to monitor exim in/out messages and viruses/spam etc?
edit:
This message is no longer valid

New message:
I've written a script that can extract total nr of spam/totalmail processed/total nr of virusses for the new spamblocker thingy.

It's compatible with the core/system thing.
I will NOT add it as attachment to make sure this script won't get screwed up.

Loopforever: you have another PM :).

Last edited:
Icheb said:
edit:

New message:
I've written a script that can extract total nr of spam/totalmail processed/total nr of virusses for the new spamblocker thingy.

I'd be real interested in that ... is it available?

Icheb said:
edit:

New message:

me too please:)

sander815 said:
viruses? didn;t know spamblocker blocks viruses
Well, I tested it with a real virus (instead of test string, which is rejected by exim somehow, I guess), got a nice message:
2005-05-01 23:04:35 1DSLcB-00032w-Ib H=(<server>.sebsoft.nl) [127.0.0.1] F=<[email protected]> rejected after DATA: This message contains a virus or other malware (Worm.Mabutu.A-unp)

I don't know if it was standard, I guess so, I think it came with spamblocker, when I upgraded to exim 4.42 ages ago...

Note that I am using Jeffs spamblocker config :).

As for the mrtg thingy, I personally am against distributing it too much, which would cause different changes to different files, making future upgrades impossible.

My next project will be modifying the script you can use to identify MailScanners virus hits to do the same for spamblocker (not MRTG module).

ah wow it works now...

looks like I just had to wait 24 hours or so for it to register its self.

you can add freebsd to the list buddy.

Thanks a lot for this script, installing on FC3 :) ^_^

I will wait a little to see if all is ok ^^

Thanks to several contributions from Icheb , there will be a few updates to this installer script to make it a bit more functional and fix a minor bug we've come across. Sebastien has created two additional scripts that will allow MRTG to monitor Apache hits and SpamBlocker.

Also, if you check the original post, I will be including instructions for uninstalling MRTG.

Please check back in about a week for these updates.

loopforever said:
Thanks to several contributions from Icheb , there will be a few updates to this installer script to make it a bit more functional and fix a minor bug we've come across. Sebastien has created two additional scripts that will allow MRTG to monitor Apache hits and SpamBlocker.

Also, if you check the original post, I will be including instructions for uninstalling MRTG.

Please check back in about a week for these updates.

Hum ... as i installed with your script 1 hours ago, have I the new or the old ? ^^

(mrtg installated : http://195.13.58.119/mrtg/ )

Edit : sorry i didn't understand very well (poor english). You will make an update lol ... Oo

You have the old version. The new version will be released in about a week. This new version will included Icheb's new monitoring scripts. I will also update the installer and allow it to take an "update" flag, so that you can simply rerun the installation in "update" mode and it will freshen your MRTG install, and MRTG config. :)

Back