HP-UX / Itanium

max2000

Verified User
Hello

I would like to install an Itanium server. These machines works very well with with their specific HP Linux, called HP-UX.

Can I install DA on such Linux?

Thank you for your help

max2000 said:
Hello

I would like to install an Itanium server. These machines works very well with with their specific HP Linux, called HP-UX.

Can I install DA on such Linux?

Thank you for your help

Itanium servers like you have are running on HP-UX 11iv2 (Unix).
This is not another flavor of Linux but a totally different kind of Operating system although a lot of Unix commands are similar than Linux command.
In general it is still a Unix.

I don't think it will be easy to run DA on HP-UX because it needs to be compiled and tested.

What you might consider to do is to run Linux (Red Hat) in stead of HP-UX. That should work.
Check the model of your server and look for the technical details on HP's website. Supported Operating systems are mentioned in the spec's.

Hello Ximmer

Thank you for taking the time for replying.

I have heard many good and bad things about Itaniums. Anyway, I purshased one to test.

I have never heard about HP-UX before. You are right, it is not a Linux distro, but another Os.

I am curious to see how it will perform. I have been told that Itaniums are good for secure hosting (https://) because their CPU have a large capabilities when it comes to cryting and decrypting.

It will eat 4U on my racks...

max2000 said:
Hello Ximmer

Thank you for taking the time for replying.

I have heard many good and bad things about Itaniums. Anyway, I purshased one to test.

I have never heard about HP-UX before. You are right, it is not a Linux distro, but another Os.

I am curious to see how it will perform. I have been told that Itaniums are good for secure hosting (https://) because their CPU have a large capabilities when it comes to cryting and decrypting.

It will eat 4U on my racks...

Well there are a lot of different opinions about Itaniums.
I am quite sure the performance will not disappoint you, however be sure to install the latest OS release (check the release date) and apply the appropiate patch bundle(s). You can download these patch bundles (or separate patches) from the HP website.
Kernel tuning might help too if for some reason the performance is not as good as expected.
There are good tools available for monitoring the performance of the system, specially usefull if you just did a new install.

Apache and all these kind of application will run fine on HP-UX.
You have to do without DA I guess.

DirectAdmin is a compiled C++ program. I have no idea if it'll run on Itaniums or not. Ask DA first.

:)

Jeff

Back