I cant change a A record to a new machine

quimax

I first changed the www and normal A records to a new IP, but apparently the changes were not brought up to the DNS server because the nslookup consistently returned the old info.

I then changed the NS servers of the domain to Amazon Cloud Route service, but again, it is like if nothing was commited to the DNS server and therefore the control is not given up in favour of Amazon.

Am I missing something? Should I force a commit like in some systems?

Thanks a lot, a bit desperate

Max

Can you post the domain and the expected A records? Maybe it's a very long TTL?

Domains and TTL

Sure, the domains are:

- laciguenia.com
- laciguenia.es

TTL is default.

Thanks a lot, you are a lifesaver!

Can you post the domain and the expected A records? Maybe it's a very long TTL?

Where did you make the DNS changes? Is it on either of these two name servers or somewhere else?

ns2.ran.es
wintermute.ran.es

New IP doesn't respond to DNS so I'm assuming it's not a locally hosted DNS server. You're using DirectAdmin?

Hi Adam,

what I am trying t do is migrating a web to an Amazon Cloud server. To do that, I needed to modify the DNS records.

I am trying to modify them using Direct Admin, originally it was pointing to ns2.ran.es & wintermute.ran.es.

But now I am really confused. You ask where are these domains registered: RAN is the Domain register.

Accessing Direct Admin, I thought I was accessing the domain records, and I should just change the DNS pointers to Amazon Route. (The new IP corresponds to Amazon Cloud.)

This solution didn't work, obviously, and then I tried to do the modifications on the IP server directly (A records), but it didn't work either.

I assumed Direct Admin was doing exactly that, modify the DNS records, was I wrong on that assumption?

Max

Well if you changed the A record through the DirectAdmin control panel, then yes, that should of worked.

But if the DirectAdmin control panel isn't linked to the name servers I mentioned above, then it wouldn't work outside of a special-setup which might not be worth discussing at this point.

It sounds like you want to use Amazon Route53 instead - you should change your name servers at RAN to point to the new nameservers that Route 53 provides. Then set your records there.

And just FYI, it's still pointing to ns2 and wintermute - so if you intended on changing those, you've changed them at the name server level, where you should probably be changing them at the domain registrar level.

Adam,

I discussed again with the customer, and he remembered the domain register was another one. I logged in, and there I can change the domain laciguenia.com DNS servers. Whta confused me was the fact that in Direct Admin there were two records to ns2.ran.es & wintermute.ran.es as DNS servers, so I understood it was the domain registrar. as well It is not.

With regards the other domain, laciguenia.es, the customer is looking for the registrar access -It is some company called Tecnocratica or something -.

Hopefully, I can now move on to solve both changes. Thanks a lot for your kind support, very helpful.

Max

Adam,

I was thinking: if the customer does not access his own domain register for laciguenia.es in time, How can I change the A records (both laciguenia.es and wwww.laciguenia.es) to another IP?

And we will be still be using the current server for part of the system, so we should need a subdomain pointed to the current IP.

If he doesn't change the name servers to Route53, the IPs will have to be updated at the name servers being used currently (which is the same name servers as the laciguenia.com).

So you'll need access to the domain registrar either way.

Back