Install Issue (Not enough Space)

webriddler

Hi,
I think I am aware of the issue but need some pointers my VPS has a partition layout as so:

Code:
[root@server tools]# df -hT
Filesystem     Type      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs       devtmpfs  910M     0  910M   0% /dev
tmpfs          tmpfs     920M     0  920M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs          tmpfs     920M  8.5M  911M   1% /run
tmpfs          tmpfs     920M     0  920M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/vda3      xfs       8.0G  8.0G   56K 100% /
/dev/vda1      xfs      1014M   97M  918M  10% /boot
/dev/vdb       ext4       50G   53M   47G   1% /data
tmpfs          tmpfs     184M     0  184M   0% /run/user/0
My VPS provider has set the partitions as above and I am not 100% sure how to proceed here. The install has been performed on /

Can I simply install to the /data partition or will this cause me problems. Most VPS providers dont setup the partitions like this and I am following @eva2000 's excellent tutorial from https://servermanager.guide/162/how-to-install-directadmin-control-panel-on-centos-7

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

smtalk

Administrator
Staff member
Hm.. If they offer LVM - I'd suggest re-installation with LVM, that way you could add /dev/vdb space to /. If that's not possible, I'd suggest re-partitioning /dev/vdb, assign one partition to /usr/local/directadmin (~8GB), another one to /var/lib/mysql, and rest of the space /home. You could leave some space unpartitioned, so that if you create these partitions as LVM, you could expand them easily in the future.

webriddler

Hm.. If they offer LVM - I'd suggest re-installation with LVM, that way you could add /dev/vdb space to /. If that's not possible, I'd suggest re-partitioning /dev/vdb, assign one partition to /usr/local/directadmin (~8GB), another one to /var/lib/mysql, and rest of the space /home. You could leave some space unpartitioned, so that if you create these partitions as LVM, you could expand them easily in the future.
Thanks for the response, I am not sure that I will be able to manage this, I have access to a rescue system with GParted as an option I am not massively proficent with the cmd line (learner) so I better do some reading up the re-install option defaults to the partition layout above and I am not sure that I will be able to change it as you have stated. I will reach out to the provider and see if they will help as I would love to get DA installed.