Install on existing server

ibaker

Verified User
I currently have a live server operating with no control panel and I was looking at getting DirectAdmin installed by purchasing the "Lite" version which includes free installation. Will they install on a server that is already live with several websites/domains? If not what would I have to do?

Thanks

Yes I know that so in my question "what would I have to do" I assume that I would have to get my sites off the server and get my server admin guy to scrub it, wait for DirectAdmin to be installed and then pay my server guy to set the server back up again and then pay him to reinstall my large database driven sites back on the server...all while users can't access my sites unless I pay for another server etc etc etc...hmmmmm, perhaps it is more trouble and costly than it is worth to have...thanks

Depends who is providing your server.
My option is always to spin up another server, install and transfer, then cancel the previous server. With hourly billing models like Vultr, this costs no extra. If you pay a fixed monthly fee, you could ask them to deploy another server for free for a day or two. I've had some willing to do this.

Yes I know that so in my question "what would I have to do" I assume that I would have to get my sites off the server and get my server admin guy to scrub it, wait for DirectAdmin to be installed and then pay my server guy to set the server back up again and then pay him to reinstall my large database driven sites back on the server...all while users can't access my sites unless I pay for another server etc etc etc...hmmmmm, perhaps it is more trouble and costly than it is worth to have...thanks

I don't think cPanel or any other would be any different. Going from a "roll your own" to a panel requires work up front to save work later.

Back