Install server slowdowns

CanadaGuy

Verified User
I've noticed the last few days that there seem to be periodic slowdowns from the files9.directadmin.com server. It will drop to kB/s or just stop altogether. The download itself doesn't seem to halt, as it periodically ticks a few kB. When it finally picks back up again, it will go along like nothing happened. This particular time, it is stalled on libxslt-1.1.33.tar.gz, but the file varies. After about 7-10 minutes downloading about 80 kB of data, it just picked up again and is continuing with the install.

Yes, I've done enough installs to see this behavior repeatedly, and it happens on two different cloud providers. Is there a way to specify a different mirror to see if it happens on other servers too?

Last edited:
Yes, you can change the mirror. Just edit the file /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/options.conf and change this line:

Code:
downloadserver=files9.directadmin.com

I would recommend you to try files1.directadmin.com and just go up one number each time if you are not happy with the speed/stability.

After chaning the file, I think you might need to update custombuild like this:

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update

Also please read https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=305 it has more information. For example you can search for the fastest mirror etc.

Edit: Forgot to add the downloadserver= line in the first code box.

Last edited:
Yes, you can change the mirror. Just edit the file /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/options.conf and change this line:

Also please read https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=305 it has more information. For example you can search for the fastest mirror etc.

Thanks. I've done the manual setup before, but it is certainly more tedious. Is there an answer file that can be provided to setup.sh for a custom install without user input? That would be ideal.

The auto fastest mirror results seem sketchy. The 10kB file results show tens of MB while the 100kB results are all in the hundreds of kB, but downloads are usually substantially faster than hundreds of kB for larger files.

To set the fastest file server run

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build clean
./build update
./build set_fastest

Sorry see where you think this is sketchy. Might report that sketchiness to Smtalk

Back