Installing a script (drupal) whose code base is shared among domains

nasir_rather

What I want to achieve?

I (using my admin or reseller account) want to install drupal for certain new users, but I want all of them to share the code base.

I am not sure if other plugins (installatron & easy site) achieve that.

What needs to be done in order to achieve this?

Well, there are 3 main steps:
1 - Install drupal in ONE directory. (Implies: this would be done only once)
2 - Create a sub-directory under "sites" directory in drupal. (Implies: this would be done once for each new domain)
3 - Point the apache Virtualhost to the drupal directory. (Implies: All virtualhosts will point to the same parent directory)

How can this be acieved using DirectAdmin?

Since I am using DirectAdmin, I was wondering if it would be hard to create a plugin that could do what I described above? I would much appreciate pointers in any direction :).

Regards,

NAS

Assuming that drupal was already setup, you could make the modifications using a shell script that would run after a domain is created. But there wouldn't be anything stopping the user from uploading files to the domain's directory in his/her home directory...

Didn't think of that!

Thanks jmstacey. That sounds like a good solution to our situation.

A quick question:

"modifications using a shell script that would run after a domain is created"
Can this shell script be executed only for certain users or user-plans?

Thanks,
NAS

PS: I don't think I need to worry about the users uploading new files - they are not going to have FTP acess.

They can upload through the filemanager.

There are several variations that you can use, but yes, you could set it up in such a way that it would only do it according to certain criteria, although it depends on what that criteria is and where you would get it from.

My User will recieve Drupal account only

I am not going to be sending them their DirectAdmin information. As fas as they are concerned, they need Drupal setup and an account on it.

I found this: http://directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=7054 topic.

Basically it says, I can add a block of code (in some signup shell script) that will be executed only if the user was created with a specific plan. This script is passed the current plan as a parameter by DirectAdmin. Could you please comment on the below:

Say, I add this code in the shell script:

(psuedocode)

if( plan == 'SpecialPlan') {

rm -r public_html
ln -s /usr/local/drupal public_thml
// Add drupal specifc configuration here

}

What do you think?

Regards,
NAS

Back