Integrate OpenDMARC with Exim to have DMARC checked and report sent out

Would you like DA to include DMARC Analysis and Reporting?

• Yes

Votes: 58 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SeLLeRoNe

Super Moderator
Hi everyone,
in last few days I have been playing around with DMARC because I wanted to be able to check it, and report it as many providers are already doing, so I started to work on it using OpenDMARC.

Here it is a small How-To that will help you to make this integration, depending on the feedback of this How-To DirectAdmin Staff will decide if include this in CB to allow manage it that way.

This guide is based on CentOS 7, it may be very similar on other OS but I have not them to play with, hopefully someone will want to replicate this guide in Debian and post it here.

NOTE: I am setting in the command a DB password as "PASSWORD", you MUST change it!

First bit, you need to remove sendmail* from the /etc/yum.conf file on line exclude=
Once done let's proceed to install opendmarc and all it's dependencies
Code:
yum -y install opendmarc libopendmarc-devel libspf2-devel libspf2

Configuration file: /etc/opendmarc.conf
I am using this one: https://repository.crazynetwork.it/directadmin/crazynetwork/confs/opendmarc.conf
But you can easly edit it yourself, the important option to set is HistoryFile which should be set to /var/spool/exim/opendmarc.dat

Now we need to customize the exim Makefile to enable two Experimental features (SPF and DMARC) so we start downloading the standard one that DA use and store it in the CB custom folder:
Code:
mkdir -p /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/custom/exim/
wget -O /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/custom/exim/Makefile http://files.directadmin.com/services/custombuild/Makefile
And we will edit it this way:
Look for EXPERIMENTAL_SPF=yes
And change it to SUPPORT_SPF=yes and uncomment the two lines just after, like this:
Code:
SUPPORT_SPF=yes
CFLAGS  += -I/usr/local/include
LDFLAGS += -lspf2

Than, at the end of all the experimental options add:
Code:
# Uncomment the following lines to add DMARC support, you must first enable SPF.
# Please read the Local/Makefile comments on enabling the SUPPORT_SPF
# feature.  You must also have DKIM support, so you cannot set the
# DISABLE_DKIM feature.  Once both of those conditions have been met
# you can enable DMARC in Local/Makefile:

EXPERIMENTAL_DMARC=yes
LDFLAGS += -lopendmarc

(Or you can download the ready version here: https://repository.crazynetwork.it/directadmin/custombuild/custom/exim/Makefile using:
Code:
wget -O /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/custom/exim/Makefile https://repository.crazynetwork.it/directadmin/custombuild/custom/exim/Makefile

Once done, let's build exim
Code:
/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/build exim

Now, let's do some configurations files:
Create this file (or update it to also contain the following): /etc/exim.acl_check_recipient.pre.conf
Code:
warn    authenticated   = *
        hosts           = +relay_hosts
        domains         = +local_domains
        control         = dmarc_disable_verify

warn    !authenticated  = *
        hosts           = !+relay_hosts
        domains         = !+local_domains
        control         = dmarc_enable_forensic

Now we need the TLDs DB from https://publicsuffix.org/
Code:
wget -O /etc/exim_opendmarc.tlds https://publicsuffix.org/list/public_suffix_list.dat

And configure the spool and the TLDs file in exim too in:
Code:
touch /etc/exim.easy_spam_fighter/variables.dmarc.conf
echo "dmarc_history_file=/var/spool/exim/opendmarc.dat" >> /etc/exim.easy_spam_fighter/variables.dmarc.conf
echo "dmarc_tld_file=/etc/exim_opendmarc.tlds" >> /etc/exim.easy_spam_fighter/variables.dmarc.conf

And rebuild exim configurations.
Code:
/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/build exim_conf

Add the following at the end of the file: /etc/exim.easy_spam_fighter/check_dmarc.conf
Code:
# DMARC Checks
  warn
    dmarc_status         = accept : none : off
    !authenticated       = *
    log_message          = DMARC DEBUG: $dmarc_status $dmarc_used_domain

warn
    dmarc_status         = !accept
    !authenticated       = *
    log_message          = DMARC DEBUG: '$dmarc_status' for $dmarc_used_domain

warn
    dmarc_status         = quarantine
    !authenticated       = *
    set acl_m_quarantine = 1
    # Do something in a transport with this flag variable

deny
    condition            = ${if eq{$dmarc_domain_policy}{reject}}
    condition            = ${if eq{$acl_m_mailing_list}{1}}
    message              = Messages from $dmarc_used_domain break mailing lists

deny
    dmarc_status         = reject
    !authenticated       = *
    message              = Message from $dmarc_used_domain failed sender's DMARC policy, REJECT

warn
    add_header           = :at_start:${authresults {$primary_hostname}}

Now restart exim
Code:
service exim restart

And you should be able to see in a DMARC in the exim logs (try to make some traffic from a site that have DMARC):
tail -f /var/log/exim/mainlog | grep DMARC

And you should also be able to see a DMARC line in the headers:
Code:
Authentication-Results: YOUR_SERVER_HOSTNAME; dmarc=pass header.from=gmail.com

Now, let's send out some reports!
To do this you will need:
A MySQL DB
An email address that will send out email (with SMTP Auth)
2 Scripts (one is opendmarc-report which I have modified to use SMTP Auth when sending out emails)

Prepare the MySQL DB:
Code:
wget -O /tmp/da_opendmarc.sql https://repository.crazynetwork.it/opendmarc/da_opendmarc.sql
/usr/bin/mysql -uda_admin -p`grep "^passwd=" $DA_PATH/conf/mysql.conf | cut -d= -f2` -e "CREATE DATABASE da_opendmarc"
/usr/bin/mysql -uda_admin -p`grep "^passwd=" $DA_PATH/conf/mysql.conf | cut -d= -f2` -e "CREATE USER 'da_opendmarc'@'127.0.0.1' IDENTIFIED BY 'PASSWORD';"
/usr/bin/mysql -uda_admin -p`grep "^passwd=" $DA_PATH/conf/mysql.conf | cut -d= -f2` -e "GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON da_opendmarc . * TO 'da_opendmarc'@'127.0.0.1';"
/usr/bin/mysql -uda_admin -p`grep "^passwd=" $DA_PATH/conf/mysql.conf | cut -d= -f2` -e "FLUSH PRIVILEGES;"
mysql -uda_opendmarc -pPASSWORD da_opendmarc < /tmp/da_opendmarc.sql
rm -rf /tmp/da_opendmarc.sql
Get the scripts:
Code:
wget -O /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/custom/exim_dmarc.sh https://repository.crazynetwork.it/directadmin/scripts/custom/exim_dmarc.sh
wget -O /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/custom/opendmarc-reports https://repository.crazynetwork.it/directadmin/scripts/custom/opendmarc-reports
chmod 700 /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/custom/exim_dmarc.sh 
chmod 700 /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/custom/opendmarc-reports

Edit /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/custom/exim_dmarc.sh and fill the required DB and SMTP Auth informations changing those lines:
Code:
DBHOST="localhost"
DBNAME="da_opendmarc"
DBUSER="da_opendmarc"
DBPASS="DATABASE PASSWORD"
REPORTEMAIL="EMAIL USERNAME"
REPORTSMTP_HOST="EMAIL SERVER HOST"
REPORTSMTP_PORT="EMAIL SERVER PORT"
REPORTSMTP_USER="EMAIL AUTH USER"
REPORTSMTP_PASS="EMAIL AUTH PASS"
REPORTORG="REPORTER NAME"

And finally, add the required cronjobs:
Code:
echo "0 * * * * /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/custom/exim_dmarc.sh -i >/dev/null 2>&1" >> /etc/cron.d/directadmin_cron
echo "30 */6 * * * /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/custom/exim_dmarc.sh -r >/dev/null 2>&1" >> /etc/cron.d/directadmin_cron
echo "0 0 0 * * /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/custom/exim_dmarc.sh -e >/dev/null 2>&1" >> /etc/cron.d/directadmin_cron

Now everything should be configured.
A suggestion would be, before adding the cronjob to test everything (for example sending from one of you domain to another of your domain a mail which is DMARC signed so to check everything)

IMPORT DMARC DATA INTO DB: /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/custom/exim_dmarc.sh -i
SEND DMARC REPORTS OUT: /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/custom/exim_dmarc.sh -r
DELETE OLD DATA FROM DB: /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/custom/exim_dmarc.sh -E
SHOW THE REPORT THAT ARE GOING TO BE SENT (NO SEND): /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/custom/exim_dmarc.sh -t

I hope that this will be helpful to someone, if I forgot something or you face any problem let me know and I will try to help

Best regards

Last edited:
Hello Andrea,

Thanks for sharing. I guess it's a typo:

Code:
[COLOR=#333333]"CREATE DATABASE da_opendmarc.sql"

and you don't need .sql here.

And probably add a note to change [/COLOR]PASSWORD to a real password, otherwise they will use it as a password ;)

DirectAdmin have now introduced /etc/exim.easy_spam_fighter/check_message.conf.custom.post and /etc/exim.easy_spam_fighter/check_message.conf.custom.pre

Updating the original post to use the right file which will not be overwritten by CB

They would prefer to not introduce experimental feature in production enviornments which is fair enough.
But if the request for this is high enough they will add this as optional thing in CB I guess.

Best regards

I believe that DirectAdmin should simply add this option. Then you can make your own choice.
Other control panels such as Plesk have already had this option.

So I say, add DirectAdmin! :)

With last release of exim (4.90.1) I am having troubles on compiling exim with DMARC.

I will check into this tomorrow and I will update the thread once I mange to have it working again.

It builds fine on CentOS 6:

Code:
# exim -bV
[B]Exim version 4.90_1 #4 built 13-Feb-2018 12:10:56[/B]
Copyright (c) University of Cambridge, 1995 - 2017
(c) The Exim Maintainers and contributors in ACKNOWLEDGMENTS file, 2007 - 2017
Berkeley DB: Berkeley DB 4.7.25: (March 22, 2017)
Support for: crypteq IPv6 Perl OpenSSL move_frozen_messages Content_Scanning DKIM DNSSEC Event OCSP PRDR Experimental_SPF Experimental_SRS [B]Experimental_DMARC[/B]
Lookups (built-in): lsearch wildlsearch nwildlsearch iplsearch cdb dbm dbmjz dbmnz dnsdb
Authenticators: cram_md5 dovecot plaintext spa
Routers: accept dnslookup ipliteral manualroute queryprogram redirect
Transports: appendfile/maildir/mailstore/mbx autoreply lmtp pipe smtp
Fixed never_users: 0
Configure owner: 0:0
Size of off_t: 8

with your guide.

You can see in the output Experimental_DMARC

True, apparently one of my server it isn't (same versions and OS), seems it doesn't seems to find dmarc.h

Code:
In file included from exim.h:515:0,
                 from macro_predef.c:11:
dmarc.h:14:30: fatal error: opendmarc/dmarc.h: No such file or directory
 # include "opendmarc/dmarc.h"

Alex, not sure you have noticed that but DA added a custom pre/post check message and I have updated the original post to use the post one instead of edit the CB mantianed one ;)

Use: /etc/exim.easy_spam_fighter/check_message.conf.custom.post
Instead of: /etc/exim.easy_spam_fighter/check_message.conf

The (EXPERIMENTAL_DMARC) variable $dmarc_ar_header is withdrawn, being replaced by the ${authresults } expansion in latest exim, so I have to update the check_message.conf.custom.post file, will update once I have a working fix, for now means that this is not working anymore and it actually block the email flow because of the deprecated variable.

If anyone already noticed (and fixed) this, please let me know.

Thanks

Will DirectAdmin add this function by default? Other control panels already have it. (think of Plesk and a Synology mailserver NAS)

Are you sure other already have this experimental functionality to send out DMARC reports?
This is not DMARC signature is to validate the signature of incoming emails and send-out the reports with OpenDMARC.

DA will probably implement this as soon as exim staff declare this functionality as not experimental anymore.

Are you sure other already have this experimental functionality to send out DMARC reports?

Yes, I do :) We manage Plesk servers and they send a message back. DMARC is also returned by a Synology NAS. (also in the logfiles)

@Andrea,

With Exim 4.92 released the Makefile requires the following update.

Find and change:

Code:
EXPERIMENTAL_SPF=yes
#LDFLAGS += -lspf2

to

Code:
SUPPORT_SPF=yes
LDFLAGS += -lspf2

then run:

Code:
yum install -y libspf2-devel libspf2
ldconfig
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/
./build clean && ./build exim

That's it.

@all,

Tested on CentOS 7 only. Try your OS on your own and let us know.

Back