Invalid setting for mysql_inst mariadb option ?

eva2000

Verified User
From https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=240 trying MariaDB 5.5 to MariaDB 10.3 using
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build set mariadb 10.3
./build set mysql_inst mariadb
./build set mysql_backup yes
./build update
./build mariadb
i get on 3 command ?
Code:
 is not a valid setting for mysql_inst mariadb option.
Also I usualy upgrade incremental versions rather than skip, so MariaDB 5.5 to 10.0 to 10.1 to 10.2 to 10.3. Is that the case with DirectAdmin despite the help article's suggestion ?

thanks

eva2000

Verified User
mgb8pyi

FYI, my current MariaDB 5.5 version
Code:
mysqladmin --defaults-extra-file=/usr/local/directadmin/conf/my.cnf ver                   
mysqladmin  Ver 9.0 Distrib 5.5.63-MariaDB, for Linux on x86_64
Copyright (c) 2000, 2018, Oracle, MariaDB Corporation Ab and others.

Server version          5.5.63-MariaDB
Protocol version        10
Connection              Localhost via UNIX socket
UNIX socket             /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
Uptime:                 10 hours 35 min 38 sec

Threads: 1  Questions: 72  Slow queries: 0  Opens: 3  Flush tables: 2  Open tables: 29  Queries per second avg: 0.001

smtalk

Administrator
Staff member
" is not a valid setting for mysql_inst mariadb option." - seems like it's missing setting name in front of it. Are you sure you don't have any special characters in the line?

Please try copy-pasting:
Code:

eva2000

Verified User
" is not a valid setting for mysql_inst mariadb option." - seems like it's missing setting name in front of it. Are you sure you don't have any special characters in the line?

Please try copy-pasting:
Code:
seems to work now so could be special character issue
Code:
Changed mysql_inst option from no to mariadb
so is this valid if i want to incrementally upgrade from MariaDB 5.5 to 10.0, 10.1, 10.2 and then 10.3 ?
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build set mysql_backup yes
./build set mariadb 10.0
./build mysql
./build set mariadb 10.1
./build mysql
./build set mariadb 10.2
./build mysql
./build set mariadb 10.3
./build mysql

smtalk

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it's totally fine! :) However, MariaDB is not so 'strict' as MySQL, and you should technically be able to jump from 5.5 to 10.3 for example, anyway, the incremental way is more fail-proof (just a bit more time consuming), so, your commands listed should do the trick.

eva2000

Verified User
cgywgm

Yes, it's totally fine! :) However, MariaDB is not so 'strict' as MySQL, and you should technically be able to jump from 5.5 to 10.3 for example, anyway, the incremental way is more fail-proof (just a bit more time consuming), so, your commands listed should do the trick.
cheers much appreciated !

Yeah old Oracle MySQL has drilled in me the urge to only do major versionincremental updates LOL

psalm91

Verified User
LOL :) I upgraded MySQL but still the version is old :) What should I do ?

zEitEr

Super Moderator
it would probably mean an upgrade is not complete or failed.... on CentOS you might still have mysql-server or mariadb-server of the older version in this case. Or mysqld/mariadb daemon did not restart.

psalm91

Verified User
it would probably mean an upgrade is not complete or failed.... on CentOS you might still have mysql-server or mariadb-server of the older version in this case. Or mysqld/mariadb daemon did not restart.
Please let me know the correct commands to upgrade this , I do not have important sites so I do not care much about the risk
thanks

zEitEr

Super Moderator
Post #1 and post #4 already have the commands. I've posted my guess (according to my understanding) that the installation/upgrade failed, and you should check this guess on your own or get someone to check it for you.

Your case might differ from what I might think. You did not provide any output or log-lines, so there is nothing to show where you might have an issue.