IPV6

silvatech

Verified User
Everything overall is going well with the DA server, but I am at the point where I want to add IPV6 to our shared hosting. No reason other then to get it done before it becomes a requirement or becomes like SSL is .
So sense I have never used IPv6 with DA before.
I figure I would ask if their is anything in particular in the settings people have had issues with in general or with Direct Admin in doing so. I have general knowledge and have worked with IPV6. Sense our server facility recently updated their hardware to better utalize IPv6 (it was offered prior). I figure its now time.

Any useful articles etc are appreciated. Just looking for any issues that may come up that are not obvious. Or heck could be an obvious one I missed.

Thanks

Paul

i have googled it for you :)

o Add IPv6 Address

This is the first step. In order to use IPv6, we have to tell the Direct Admin that we need to use IPv6 address.

1) Login to the server via ssh as the root user.

2) Open the DirectAdmin configuration file

vi /usr/local/directadmin/conf/directadmin.conf

3) Find the ipv6 from the above configuration file. Then edit it as to 1 if it is mentioned as zero.

3) Save the configuration file.

4) Then the very next step is to restart the service for the same. Execute the below command.

service directadmin restart

You can also add this by from the front end.

1) Login to the DirectAdmin panel using username and password.

2) Adding the IP address to DirectAdmin is done the same way as with we adding the IPv4 address.

Select Admin Tools >> IP management. You can add the IPv6 address on the IP filed.

Please be noted that the netmask 255.255.255.0 can only apply to an IPv4 address and should be ignored while adding an IPv6 address to the DirectAdmin.

By default, the netmask of the IPv6 address is /64.

So that whenever we are adding the IPv6 address to the DirectAdmin, we need to use the full or short forms of the address. As we are giving in short forms of the address, the DirectAdmin will expand it to the full form of the IPv6 values. And please note that don’t give or use [] around the IP address here.

It is just fine with 1:2::9
---------------------------------
More reading here: https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=353

Thanks, I was not looking for intial settings, but more of the management and tricks people have learned. initial Setup is not the headache in my book. This would more have to do with Firewall etc. Anything that is different pratice from Ipv4 I might of missed. Good IPv6 pratices for a shared hosting enviroment you may of learned that different then Ipv4. I know a few working with the networks over the years, but I am brushing up on it all before I deploy it on the first active server. I try to always be proactive and find & correct potential issues before they come up.

I don't think there a any " tricks" maybe you have to tweak your CSF settings (if you are using)
If you setup your server the right way, everything goes automatically good with IPV6 (dont forget to share your IPV6 address on the server)

All our server are deployed this way and never did any special "tricks" and test your server with : https://www.mythic-beasts.com/ipv6/health-check

Back