is it safe to keep updating softwares in directadmin?

psalm91

Verified User
Just wonder ! Should I always keep monitoring and updating every software I see in my custom build ( update software ) section?
In a production server can any thing go wrong and break things?

Should I always keep monitoring and updating every software I see in my custom build
In general yes. Software updates bring security fixes and new function.
Always It was created by man. :cool: Something can go wrong. I have upgraded almost weekly since July of 2019 without issue.

You also need to update the server with yum or apt as well depending on your OS. After you do OS updates I like to run ./build all as well.

I assume most have some kind of scheduled process for this monthly, quarterly and yearly.

my opinion. others may vary.

Just wonder ! Should I always keep monitoring and updating every software I see in my custom build ( update software ) section?
Yes

So depending on how important is no outages!
Always ofcourse backups and if possible snapshot, and reading some about the updates could help.

Bigger are the real versions updates if custommers you should warn them , and some software / ap testing is important to.
So verions php 7.2 to php 7.x and such as mariadb or mysql, is the same with OS

I do OS updates every 3 months or so, other updates (in custombuild) pretty much on the day I see them, or a few days later, It's important to be able to free up some time to fix stuff in case it breaks, but that allmost never happens.

Normally, I would do backup before updating, and after update, I will check log files if anything goes wrong. If something wrong, I have a full backup and revert everything back and start `nagging` in this forum. Never do auto update.

In general yes. Software updates bring security fixes and new function.

Always It was created by man. :cool: Something can go wrong. I have upgraded almost weekly since July of 2019 without issue.

You also need to update the server with yum or apt as well depending on your OS. After you do OS updates I like to run ./build all as well.

I assume most have some kind of scheduled process for this monthly, quarterly and yearly.

my opinion. others may vary.

OK thanks so I must
1. Do yum update ( I use centos)
2. Go to directadmin custom build - update software and update them

cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build all d
./build rewrite_confs

? Is this order correct?

OK thanks so I must
1. Do yum update ( I use centos)
2. Go to directadmin custom build - update software and update them

./build update
./build all d
./build rewrite_confs

? Is this order correct?
In general yes.

Code:
yum update
or
yum update -y

-y is considered dangerous because it just does the update.
if you do the first one without -y you get a chance to say no dont do the OS updates.

I would add few more but yes you go it. Set Fastest picks the best mirror. Clean cleans up old tarbals an old build junk. On any of the commands you dont need d or n anymore they are legacy options not used. Won't hurt just do really do anything.

Code:
./build set_fastest
./build clean
./build update
./build all
./build rewrite_confs

Depending on the horsepower of your server it could take 5 min to an hour.

`nagging` in this forum
you dont really seem to need nagging...
Never do auto update.
I agree dont get me wrong here. However, I have done auto updates for almost 2 years with no issue. Not on all of my servers but I just like to see how good a Application/Server is on a few test boxes. Most of the issues seen here on the forum related to updating is doing it to early(adopting New PHP within a few weeks), Strange/Old customizations not templated or documented, and not keeping up in general (still having php5X). Which really has nothing to do with DA it all to do with the Server Owner.

The other thing is we have a mix of needs here. Some have one/two servers and its not mission critical. Others have 200 server and they are MC but those folk have been doing this before... They know what to do. Also some have support so they pay people to maintain things.
I would do backup before updating, and after update
Every Day. when in doubt backup. when you say lets try this backup. when you say this wont hurt anything backup....

In general yes.

Code:
yum update
or
yum update -y

-y is considered dangerous because it just does the update.
if you do the first one without -y you get a chance to say no dont do the OS updates.

I would add few more but yes you go it. Set Fastest picks the best mirror. Clean cleans up old tarbals an old build junk. On any of the commands you dont need d or n anymore they are legacy options not used. Won't hurt just do really do anything.

Code:
./build set_fastest
./build clean
./build update
./build all
./build rewrite_confs

Depending on the horsepower of your server it could take 5 min to an hour.

IN my server just in directadmin interface I did each software update , I did not do yum update neither ./build update so does that mean even though I did update from directadmin interface those software updates are not applied yet?

./build update
only updates the Custombuild system.

Not any of the Applications.

if you want to do it through the GUI and not SSH.

it's the Update Software tab. Click the one that says update all

This is same as ./build update_versions in ssh.

in gui go to tab Update Software Configuration
Click all the ones that apply

to do rewrite_confs. it's the one labeled Rewrite WEB server configuration files

Note: Custombuild doesn't update any yum/apt installed software (unless the particular piece of software requires a NEW piece of system software), so, yum/apt updates are needed manually via ssh.

ot any of the Applicati

only updates the Custombuild system.

Not any of the Applications.

if you want to do it through the GUI and not SSH.

it's the Update Software tab. Click the one that says update all

This is same as ./build update_versions in ssh.

in gui go to tab Update Software Configuration
Click all the ones that apply

to do rewrite_confs. it's the one labeled Rewrite WEB server configuration files
I can see there is also a " Build software " Option in there. What is that ? Do I need to run them?

You most likely want to read through

Not sure there is a Document on how to use the plugin

The user/reseller/admin usage guide.

The option full in the below code updates your OS files as well.
Code:
./build update
./build update_versions full

The option full in the below code updates your OS files as well.
Code:
./build update
./build update_versions full
True, I did recently notice that in the documentation some where. It automatic though right? Also is it a full upgrade or just what is needed for DA?

Wonder if there. is a ./build all full

I hardly keep up to date reading documentation........ Maybe I should start for 2021!!!!!!!!!!

Never knew myself.

True, I did recently notice that in the documentation some where. It automatic though right? Also is it a full upgrade or just what is needed for DA?

From what I experience it is an alternative to yum update -y, but then embedded in the CB script.
Just checkt the build script:
Code:
doVersions() {
    cd ${CWD}

if [ "$2" = "full" ]; then
        if [ ${OS} = "FreeBSD" ]; then
            pkg upgrade -y
        elif [ -e ${DEBIAN_VERSION} ]; then
            apt-get update
            apt-get -y upgrade
        else
            yum -y update